Barnegat Bay nostalgia hunt

Discussion in 'New Jersey Flyway Forum' started by Lou Ureneck, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Lou Ureneck

Lou Ureneck Refuge Member

I hunted Barnegat bay as a boy with my single-shot Sears 12 gauge back in the early 60s -- we saw a lot of bluebills, blacks and buffleheads. The one thing my buddies and I never hunted was Brant -- that was for guys with gear and boats and the wherewithal for a serious Brant hunt. I went away for decades -- hunting other states as my career took me here and there. Now, I've got some time and a little wherewithal myself, and I'd like to get back for a Brant hunt. (I live in Boston.) I plan to travel down to Jersey in December with my TDB Classic and brand-new Brant decoys to see if I can fill in this 55-year-old gap in my hunting life. It will be fun for me just to the see the bay again. I'm writing now for advice or maybe to find someone who would be willing to meet up for hands-on guidance. (I tried booking a guide, but everyone is booked.) Dinner and drinks are on me.

2. Lou Ureneck

Correction to above: early January.

3. DaveinMoscow

DaveinMoscow New Member

Give me a call/PM or leicadave gmail. Happy to meet up and usually know where the brant are. Have nice hollow cedar brant decoys to bring along too. Call them with my voice, and so does my granddaughter now too, thought she doesn't hunt.

Lou Ureneck likes this.
  4. Sleddman

Sleddman Senior Refuge Member

let is know how the hunt goes. im from jersey and been away for 15 years. ill get back to the bays and do some more hinting, i hope soon. and dave would love to see your brant cedar decoys. im a jersey carver for life

5. Lou Ureneck

Will give you a report, with photos.

6. NovaJoe

NovaJoe New Member

Please post the trip!

7. Lou Ureneck

Haven't made it yet, but looking forward.