Barrel length

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Lol, was kinda wondering the same thing. Sbe’s are light enough as it is.

2. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

I grew up shooting 26" over unders which are even shorter than that so shooting a 3.5" chamber semi with a 28 feels a lot heavier and slower for me swinging

3. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

I truly feel a lot of the "shorter barrel equals faster swinging" mentality is mostly in our heads. I've got 26in and 28in barrels and really cannot tell a difference in swing speed, efficiency or whatever. I think a difference can be seen in the conditions one hunts in, such as heavy brush, layouts, small blinds, etc. A shorter will be a bit easier to move around and less prone to hanging up on stuff in some conditions.

Drake91 and Tuleman like this.
  4. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Gun speed is not your friend. Ducks really don't fly as fast as you may think. In most cases I see guys wanting a fast gun to be the first gun out the gate. How many times have you blown the first shot by being too quick?

Good mechanics will have you mounting to the front of the bird, briefly matching the speed and pulling the trigger when the gap feels right. This business of ripping the gun thru the bird and pulling the trigger at the proper lead relies on timing. Those days where your timing is a bit off will be frustrating to say the least. Swinging the gun really fast will put you in and out of the kill zone at the blink of an eye. Ease into the kill zone.

Be the guy at the 3rd or 4th shot when the birds are climbing and going much slower. You won't be in such a hurry and you'll save some ammo. At that point, there really isn't much lead needed for a kill.

Hoghead, JRS, 5 stand and 2 others like this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Great advice Gander. About the only time I think speed matters is on those point blank snap shots where there is no kill picture and you only get one shot.

I too like to wait for someone else in our group to shoot first, in particularly at a large group of teal that give you a low and fast passover. My hunting partner decades ago was the master at letting us shoot first at mach1 teal and never saying anything as to why he was being so considerate. Finally figured it out, lol.

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

As humbling as a bunch of teal can be on that first shot when they are twisting through the decoys you can really get some revenge after that first shot goes off.

JFG likes this.
  7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Piffle. Gun speed is only counterproductive if you can't control it.

Tuleman, Drake91 and OneShotBandit like this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

The speed of the swing of a gun will always be faster than a flying bird . I can't imagine the gun being to slow , with matching the speed of the target with
    the muzzle end of the gun , then , pulling away to the desired lead , is not a race or a difficult thing to do when you rotate your hips !

9. Gene

Gene Senior Refuge Member

My side by side and auto were 30, my over under was 28 and my pump Model 12 was 32.
    The pump I have now is 30.

10. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

My hips don’t rotate in a layout blind.