Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Baspro Cabelas card

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by newduk, Aug 5, 2020.

1. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

My Basspro/Cabelas card has been declined on a couple of out of state trips, always for gasoline purchases. Have spoken to customer service twice, and while friendly, they were not very helpful. Last time I spoke with customer service, I told them I travel out of state frequently, and to be declined is frustrating and unacceptable. I also told them I would be using a different if this can't be resolved. They told me to go online to try to update my fraud protection, which I have yet to do. Anyone else had this problem with Basspro/Cabelas cards? One more time with me and the card is getting canceled.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Another nail in the coffin!

newduk likes this.
  3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve had one for years, never had a problem.

me&mylab and newduk like this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

When I go to Canada, I tell em in advance. Never had a problem.

WHUP ! Hen, OneShotBandit and newduk like this.
  5. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Heck, my regular B of A Alaska Airlines Visa has been declined a couple times. Once was right after I bought a new Jeep, didn't put anything on the card, but they ran a credit check. Had to call them and verify several purchases. Another time they put a hold on my card between the time I bought gas at the pump, and went into the station to buy some sundries. Apparently they sent me some kind of notification, but since I was in the mountains and out of cell range I never got it. They apologized, it was their mistake, I told them if it happens again their card would not get used again! Can't cancel it since I've had it for 40 years and it would significantly hurt my credit score, which is currently 841!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

As much of a nuisance as this is, no bank or credit card company is going to drop their fraud net just for you. Most have pretty sophisticated systems that can tell your patterns, how far you can plausibly be from home since your last purchase, whether or not you flew somewhere, etc. If your out of area trips are infrequent, Native’s suggestion is the best way to go—just let them know where you’re heading in advance and they’ll flag your account that transactions three states away are OK.

Trust me, if you’ve ever had actual card fraud happen you’ll be thankful for these systems. Just the other day BofA caught a fraudulent charge on my wife’s card—for $0.42! My bet is the bad guys were testing the waters and got caught quickly.

7. trashman

trashman Senior Refuge Member

Maybe it depends on which store it came through and how long you've had it. I've had a Cabela's card for almost 20 years. For years, never had a problem with travel issues. Then of all places, I got flagged on a purchase at Cabelas in Rogers MN

They used to have a option in your account online/app to notify of travel, then it went away. Capital One told me they don't do that, they just flag all unusual purchases until as BSD's said, they think they have us patterned pretty well.

Now I have to buy my license a few months ahead of travel, so they apparently don't question travel that appears in line with the license.

8. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Do they automatically calculate the exchange rate on purchases made across the boarder?

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Yup

10. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Called Capital One to notify them know I would be fishing in Costa Rica in Feb, they said they did not need to know.
    Showed up in CR and they cut off my card. I was pi$$ed.
    CapOne allows the cardholder to provide a picture for the card image - our cards show my wife and I kneeling over a zebra I shot in SA. (Gets a few comments, and I love telling people how difficult is it to train them to lie down like that...). Wife got tired of the comments and I've been trying for a year to change the image on her card but CapOne will not allow. She is ill with them as well.

Attached Files: