Decoy Forum Sponsors

Battle Coot Army

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Battle Coot continues to be undefeated....

Although this weekends fight was as much with the ice as it was with the birds. We never saw temps above 28degrees Thursday-Sunday and the morning temps were in the teens with hard WNW winds of 15-20mph gusting to 30 all but one day. Today was driving snow to boot.

I spent those days hunting with my family, brother, cousin, and uncle. My uncle hasn’t hunted ducks since 1988. He was very skeptical of Battle Coot, so Battle Coot chose a place in the front lines each day, prominently in the kill hole.

3A9A78C1-8315-476E-A8F8-6A1F1FFF675C.jpeg
    72033734-7777-43DF-9583-2CB92B824BFC.jpeg

And things worked out the way they have all season. Bluebill, Bufflehead, Gadwall, Greenwing Teal, Goldeneye, Hooded Mergansers, Mallard, Ringneck, and Wigeon all fell for his trap. A lone Canada Goose and a Snow Goose also fell victim to his trickeration.

(It should be noted that those two geese also were taken over a full handcarved diver rig. No plastic decoys allowed that day. Unfortunately no photos.)

But the real battle was the ice and cold. The boats would freeze in, decoys would get snotsickles hanging from their bills and ice build up around them. It was brutal. More like November weather than October. At one point yesterday I was frozen to the bottom of the layout boat. Memorable for sure.

2. deadducks89

deadducks89 Senior Refuge Member

Please keep this going. This is great, our season opens Saturday, so I'm ate up and after action reports are keeping me going.

Out of focus likes this.
  3. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

4. Neighbor Guy

I will see what I can do. Unfortunately we are fighting single digit overnight temps. Ponds are all froze over here. Reports from the boarder are worse with all protected accesses for the big water now locked in tight as well.

Game is not over, but the tactics are going to have to change that’s for sure.

5. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

And we hit 81 in MD yesterday. Unbelievable.

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  6. Neighbor Guy

Battle Coot has an even bigger attitude problem this week....

AB0B4420-24EA-42EE-94F2-590244C14964.jpeg
    His favorite central MN Farm Pond Blind is iced in.... birds were here keeping the water open yesterday afternoon. This morning they were gone and the pond was sealed.

A454CEE4-CD04-460D-82E1-E7429A1A1D71.jpeg

He even went to his bigger water seldom used Plan B location. in this case there was so much ice he couldn’t even get his keel in the water.

BAFD3AE7-F25E-4525-ACAD-5DCA0AEF9FC8.jpeg

So he ended up on a field goose hunt. The sign said they were using this field. The birds were here yesterday on the scouting mission. But they never really materialized today. One group of birds circled the spread a couple of times but always from an elevated position. The shot was not called and the birds headed off. The neighboring field did not have the same restraint and skybusted the flock. 10 very cold very skeptical geese in, 10 very cold, more educated geese out.

The rant from Battle Coot was pretty blue after that. He couldn’t hunt over water, the birds didn’t land in on his field spread, the neighbors educated another flock of birds, and the guns never got warmed up. No shots fired.

Battle Coot is no longer undefeated and he is not handling it well this morning. He was promised a 60day deployment. He’s only 29days in and the ice line has passed. Going to have to get creative now.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

I feel Battle Coot will be victorious the next time.

8. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

Battle Coot needs to Adapt, Overcome, and Improvise.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Awesome. :l:tu:tu

10. Neighbor Guy

The season could be coming to an end for the Battle Coots.

News from the Canadian border is the coffee was good this morning and the wood stove is hot.

Further south Battle Coot tracked down some Greenwings that thought they were divers. (Why people think they need 2’s to kill those little bitty birds I will never know) 17BE7413-9652-4F82-BD77-CE6D768E9867.jpeg

Here in my neighborhood it was another corn field hunt. 1CCBB95A-4A8B-452C-A3A0-1A0661878BBE.jpeg 99CE3AD5-2CBE-4C78-A391-D0CA40DAD49E.jpeg Driving blowing snow and cold. Never saw or heard a Goose in the air. One sad bird calling from the refuge. Never heard any shooting from any other groups in the area either.

A survey of local lakes showed one with evidence that a boat had forced its way out but with the ice line now 65yds from shore hunting would have been difficult at best.

Another lake had 10 geese and a raft of 20 blue bills on it. In a small hole a couple hundred yards off shore.

The ice line is now well south of us. The snow line as well. The fat lady isn’t singing, but she is dressed up and is putting her makeup on.