Decoy Forum Sponsors

Battle Coot Army

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Battle Coot spent the day in the spear shack this weekend.
    FE4F87F3-1E13-487B-84F7-B9100ECE3DC0.jpeg 41722901-3052-42E4-B181-F2197D2BC608.jpeg

If you look close in the second photo you can see a Northern Pike returning to the weeds after taking a run at the decoy minnow. It was all decoy and photo this weekend no fish harmed other than the 10” sucker minnow, he was eagle food at the end of the day. Ended up with 4 fish in the hole, 3-in the 18-22” range and one that was in the 24-26” neighborhood. It was nice to be out with active fish and good visibility.

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

I like battle coot, keep him busy.

LA in ATL and Neighbor Guy like this.
  3. Neighbor Guy

Rumor has it Battle Coot has tangled with a couple different Owls this winter as well. Trying to get him on a coyote.

LA in ATL and Out of focus like this.
  4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I thought only Indians could spear fish, I didn’t know civilians could fish that way.

5. Neighbor Guy

There are several states that allow spearing in the winter. Here in MN we can spear Northern Pike and most rough fish.

Other states are more liberal on the species. MI, MN, and ND all have some sort of Darkhouse Spearing. In WI they have a limited spearing season for sturgeon but do not allow northern pike spearing.

6. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

Are the decoys attached to a rod and jigged?

7. Neighbor Guy

@reddogge They can be. Most guys use some sort of reel or spool attached to the ceiling of the shack that can be adjusted so that decoys can be suspended at various depths. You can then “jig” or swim the decoys and they will return to the original location in the water column. They are also positioned so the decoys can be placed in the hole so they don’t get tangled up.

In this case the water was 8’ deep, weed tops were 7’ down. The carved decoy was about 4 1/2’ and the sucker minnow at 3 1/2’ - 4’

MJ1657 likes this.
  8. Neighbor Guy

DFEB4D53-05DA-4A72-AF48-0CD8AB932F74.jpeg
    Battle Coot did duck box installs, service, and repairs today. At least he supervised.

Out of focus, MJ1657 and reddogge like this.
  9. LA in ATL

LA in ATL Refuge Member

My sincere sympathies about the loss of your phone. I lost one in water 5 years ago and purchased a waterproof case with a lanyard post.
    I use a Punkcase (punkcase.com) now because it has a solid lanyard post that will work with any camera attachment loop. The lifeproof brand cases have the same type attachment post but the design failed twice when I dropped the phone. I have saved my phone several times now by using a lanyard attached to the Punkcase and either around my neck or on a small carabiner clipped to my chest pocket.

10. Neighbor Guy

Battle Coot had another Spear Shack adventure today. I had to zoom out a bit to get Battle Coot and the fish in the frame. This one was the largest fish of the year. The sucker decoy is 20”. Figure the fish was in the 38” range close to double the size of the decoy. Spent more than 5min under the shack, fun watch for sure. 4C800912-2988-4637-929F-756C031F773E.jpeg
    She’s still out there swimming.