Decoy Forum Sponsors

Battle Coot Army

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

2. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Neighbor Guy.. is there some sort of size limit when spearing? You have not spoken of taking (or attempting to take) any fish. Just curious...

Battle Coot is awesome. I didn't see this thread until today.

I had read sometime ago about a guy who conducted an experiment of sorts over the course of a season. He made spreads of wooden dekes of unnatural characteristics. Some spreads were super small, others were normal but painted with polkadots, etc. I believe they all worked.

For years we hunted over wooden blocks made by my grandfather and uncle in the 50's. All painted flat black. "Divers" were given a couple splashes of white. They mainly stay in the decoy shed now, but when our ringers got stale and decoy shy I would use them, with a cluster of 2 or 3 standard plastic dekes (bigger than the wood) in the middle or off to the side. Something about that combo drew them right in...

Growing up our neighbors spread was all generic plastic dekes. I was too young to remember the reasoning (and there must have been a reason) but each and every one was painted auburn. They were longtime duck hunters had no trouble killing birds.

3. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

@Northhunter - Where I am in MN we are allowed 10 fish under 22”. Or 1 over 26” and 9 under 22” (although they do give spear fisherman an oops fish in the 22-26” protected slot.

I no longer throw the spear unless I am asked to by someone who wants some fish to eat. I’m just not that mad at them anymore. I get more enjoyment out of photo and release. It’s the ultimate catch and release as the fish doesn’t even know it was captured.

MJ1657 likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Would really like to see some of your photos.

5. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

forty years ago about this time of year we were spearing just north of Denali park. An hour flight in the super cub put us on a lake we fished the summer of '81 but now the ice was about 3 feet thick. I noticed that your decoy was stationary, we used a pike colored decoy with a bend in the tail that kept it moving in a circle as we moved the line up and down. A cord attached both the spear and the decoy to the blackout tent we hauled out on top of my head in the super cub. A guide and client were on the same lake, but they never caught anything that day, so they also got their picture taken with my mediocre pike. The largest pike that year was 24 lbs, but the spear spined him and he put up no fight. The one in the picture was back underneath the edge of the hole and I had to lean out to shoot the spear under the ice to catch him on the side of the head. It's just like watching tv, several pike shot through and took a wack at the decoy, fun stuff. 53701903_2211464002448392_6181126635287216128_n.jpg

Neighbor Guy and Out of focus like this.
  6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

Well look what was setting on my door step when I got home last night. Battle Coot deer hunting division. 20210307_091323.jpg

Billy Bob, toby, Quarne and 4 others like this.
  7. Neighbor Guy

EB9A242A-A80E-4FD9-88F9-AF2117611BDE.jpeg
    Things are getting desperate in the turkey woods... Battle Coot dug out his floppy hat... he’s tapping in.

8. Neighbor Guy

51D2DE57-E874-4CAF-8027-85C718FF1FB6.jpeg
    This sort of stuff is going to go to his head... Battle Coot is like that guy who watches you struggle with a project. Comes over to “assist” and within 5minutes has solved all of the things that you struggled with for 5hrs.

9. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

LONG LIVE BATTLE COOT!

MJ1657 likes this.
  10. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Those are the coolest decoys like.....ever! :)

MJ1657 and Out of focus like this.