Bear or moose hunt?

calling4life

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, Brown bear or black bear is a valid question here.

Though because of the meat I'd still likely go moose, don't know, brown bear/griz is high on the list of dreams that'll never come true.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Calling in a big bull is pretty exciting.
Never had a bad piece of moose....
View attachment 321246
That picture alone would make up my mind.

I have zero desire to kill a brown bear... or be killed by one. I wouldn't mind killing a black bear and could kill one less than an hour from my house if I really wanted to. I doubt I ever will but if someone offered a hunt I'd probably try it. Given the choice I'd pick the moose hunt every time though, especially if it was an Alaskan hunt. I've always thought they were cool animals and love the kind of terrain they live in.

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That picture alone would make up my mind.

I have zero desire to kill a brown bear... or be killed by one. I wouldn't mind killing a black bear and could kill one less than an hour from my house if I really wanted to. I doubt I ever will but if someone offered a hunt I'd probably try it. Given the choice I'd pick the moose hunt every time though, especially if it was an Alaskan hunt. I've always thought they were cool animals and love the kind of terrain they live in.
Reminds me of calling in gobblers...only bigger.
Easy to call when the bull is not with cows, much more difficult for a bull with his harem...especially bow hunting when shot needs to be close.

salthunter

Reaction score
Ive killed black bear and moose.
A buddy killed 35 moose 35 years in a row in Canada.
If I had to choose to hunt one or the other, just one time, it would be moose

salthunter

Reaction score
Many fewer opportunities on moose than bear

Soggy Socks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've shot both don't really care to ever shoot another bear, maybe cause I see them all the time and like watching them. Going moose hunting this year again mainly because my son has never killed a moose one and wants to go, I think he will get a bear tag in case they come upon one and just pay a $500.00 trophy fee if he gets one. I will shoot the first young bull I see(best meat ever), or I should say the first bull I see since I know I wont pass up a big one either.