Beretta 301,302,303 and then 390,391,3901??

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
6899FC27-A485-4D28-9163-2181F4A61DF8.jpeg
:scratch I can not comprehend this form of logic. It's like saying this 9/16 wrench is too nice to work on this old greasy truck or this 4x4 truck is too nice to take off road. Maybe I'm the odd man out on this.
I agree Billy. See this? This is a Belgium Browning Mag 20. In today’s market what do you think it’s worth? Alot, I know and it’s going no where but hunting until I die.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own views. I have mine and they won’t change because of what anyone else thinks. I have multiple shotguns for different types of hunting. Why would I take a pretty wood stocked shotgun into wet muddy conditions when I have a synthetic stocked/cerakoted shotgun better suited for those conditions? It has nothing to do with being all about money. I have no intention of ever selling my 390. It will be passed down to my children, and it will be in just as good condition then as it is now. I don’t care what I’m offered for it. That doesn’t mean I don’t care whether or not it gets damaged from being exposed to a harsh environment…

bustsducks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this little 20 in the local classifieds. I always wanted semiauto 20 and new nothing about Beretta's. The seller wanted $550. I explained if it is a jama matic I have no recourse and I'm willing to gamble on it for $475. He took the $475. I got home, got on YouTube and tore it apart and gave it a good scrubbing. Its never gave me a hiccup shooting factory or reloads. Best $475 I've ever spent!
IMAG0589.jpg

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this little 20 in the local classifieds. I always wanted semiauto 20 and new nothing about Beretta's. The seller wanted $550. I explained if it is a jama matic I have no recourse and I'm willing to gamble on it for $475. He took the $475. I got home, got on YouTube and tore it apart and gave it a good scrubbing. Its never gave me a hiccup shooting factory or reloads. Best $475 I've ever spent! View attachment 318372
You hit a home run with that deal for sure.

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own views. I have mine and they won’t change because of what anyone else thinks. I have multiple shotguns for different types of hunting. Why would I take a pretty wood stocked shotgun into wet muddy conditions when I have a synthetic stocked/cerakoted shotgun better suited for those conditions? It has nothing to do with being all about money. I have no intention of ever selling my 390. It will be passed down to my children, and it will be in just as good condition then as it is now. I don’t care what I’m offered for it. That doesn’t mean I don’t care whether or not it gets damaged from being exposed to a harsh environment…
I get it. If this old square head was in pristine condition, I wouldn’t take it either. Most folks wouldn’t take it out duck hunting the way I hunt either. This gun isn’t just a “patina” gun, it’s a workhorse that demands to be hunted. Like the best retriever or hound you’ve ever seen. You can’t stop it and you can’t deny it an opportunity. It’s like meth and sex.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get it. Some folks place sentiment and monetary value in material things rather than using them for their original intent. Why expose it to a harsh environment? Because that is the original purpose of any waterfoewl gun. What a waste of a fine fowling piece.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get it. Some folks place sentiment and monetary value in material things rather than using them for their original intent. Why expose it to a harsh environment? Because that is the original purpose of any waterfoewl gun. What a waste of a fine fowling piece.
Not a waste at all. It gets used, just not in wetlands. My synthetic guns are better suited for waterfowl hunting than the 390. I use it for other hunting like dove, squirrel, and if I get the opportunity, pheasant. As I said, you’re welcome to your opinion. I have mine. Again, has nothing to do with monetary value. My A300 Ultima has a synthetic stock, oversized controls, a widened loading port, a wide vent rib and the same gas system as my 390 (other than the gas piston). It’s a better waterfowl gun than the 390. No need to expose the 390 to those conditions.

Last edited:

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
EA544DA4-4F5D-4A29-BB21-3DB872591D5C.png
I bought a 3” 20, B80 back in the summer and the oldest boy has taken up with it. I’ve shot it but not at a duck and it’s a soft shooter, that may rival my 1100 20’s. Is the 390 have any advantages over the B80?

07AMF

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
View attachment 318401 I bought a 3” 20, B80 back in the summer and the oldest boy has taken up with it. I’ve shot it but not at a duck and it’s a soft shooter, that may rival my 1100 20’s. Is the 390 have any advantages over the B80?

Just the variable piston for 2 3/4 and 3” loads. I have found on the 12 gauge 3” versions of these guns that they will fire most all 2 3/4” light loads.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
View attachment 318401 I bought a 3” 20, B80 back in the summer and the oldest boy has taken up with it. I’ve shot it but not at a duck and it’s a soft shooter, that may rival my 1100 20’s. Is the 390 have any advantages over the B80?
Great autoloader there! As 07AMF mentioned, the only difference in the operating system between the B80/a303 and the 390 is the valve and spring on the back of the gas block on the 390 that regulates gas pressure. The 390 will cycle the lightest skeet/trap loads to heavy waterfowl loads without any alteration. The 390 also uses Mobil chokes.

The B80 with a 3” barrel won’t cycle the light 2 3/4” loads. You’ll need a 2 3/4” barrel, or you’ll have to get the gas port drilled out. I wouldn’t suggest that if you ever want to shoot 3” loads again though. Most B80s have a steel receiver, where as the 390 is aluminum alloy. So the B80 is quite a bit heavier. That’s likely why the felt recoil is so mild on the B80. Some B80s have fixed choke barrels, but most have barrels threaded for invector chokes.

My uncles quail hunted with B80s when I was a teenager. I liked shooting their guns! They sold them before I was mature enough to understand what they had, so I didn’t attempt to buy either of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts