Best 4-wheeler

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jbrown, Feb 19, 2021.

1. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Anything direct drive aka- Honda and second a Polaris Ranger SXS CC(belt). Got both at camp. Never had a issue with either.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Absolutely last forever.

Rebranger likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I would just observe that things made 10-15 years ago may, or may not be of the same quality. 20 years ago, Honda was without a doubt the best way to go, if you were willing to pay the price.

I don't know if that is still the case. Has Honda kept ahead of the quality curve? Have the other brands caught up? Don't know, but it is something to consider if buying new.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My perspective. Just like cars.

The new technology has gone a long ways. My first two Polaris's ATV had relatively high maintenance. Each were in worse shape mechanically at 3200 miles (1989, 1998) than the 04 Honda at 10, K

Rebranger likes this.
  5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Bought my neighbor's 91 300 4 trax in 05 and he had bought it used to start with. The only reason I got my Rancher 420, was more power and the cooling fan system :tu The 4 trax would get heated hauling the drag and red lights aren't good!!
    It's in perfect condition and everything on it works!! It's my "fertilizer and dry chem. spreader" vehicle primarily :tu

Rebranger likes this.
  6. Clam

Clam Senior Refuge Member

2000 Honda 350 Rancher here. Only replaced a starter and batteries. Still going strong and I would buy one again.

Rebranger likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

AFAIK, they still hold up.

Rebranger likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

You can do your research, but in the end, you takes your chances. Lemons are out there, in any brand.

Back in 2005, when I bought my Cats, it was Honda or Arctic Cat. Everything else was pretty iffy. Since I was buying two, and there was a $1000 difference per bike, I went with the Cats. Not just the money. Wife and I both liked how they rode, how they were set up. I got the plow setup for mine.

15 years later, hers doesn't have but maybe 2000 miles on it. Mine was over 12,000. I use a bike every day around the property, making runs down to the Clubhouse, up in the hills chasing grouse, and have even taken it on some road trips. Mostly, mine was pretty trouble free. I had the stator go out, but that can happen to any bike. Toward the end, I just got the itch for a new bike. Plow system wasn't the best setup. Where the plow attached to the frame, if I hit a big bump (lots of rocks around here) it would jump off the connection. I was using self tapping screws to hold it on. Set up and take off was a pain.

Not positive, but memory says I paid about $4500 for mine, with the plow. I sold it for $3500. But, I take care of my equipment.

So, I went looking for a new bike. Just sold the Hut, so I had an excess of cash. If that hadn't happened, I might still have the Cat. There is a big Polaris dealer here, along with a Yamaha dealer, within 45 miles. Did my research, and it seemed the Polaris were doing pretty well the last 5 years. Didn't like the setup on the Yamaha. Personal opinion. So, I got the Sportsman 450, with the plow setup.

The plow setup is light years ahead of my Cat. Lift the assembly onto the frame, attach the winch, lift it off the ground, and click down the 'hold' lever. Done. 2 minutes. I HAVE popped it off a couple of times, but considering how hard I hit something, I can't complain. Much easier to put back on out on the property than the Cat was. Lift, set, lock. With the Cat, when I put the plow on, it stayed on all Winter. With this setup, I can put it on and take it off as needed.

The Polaris is heavier than than my Cat. Most new bikes are heavier. It is faster, and stronger. Pulls my carts and wood splitter just fine. Lots of info on the Display. Plows the deep snow great. Someone mentioned noise. I guess it could be quieter, but compared to my Cat, it is much quieter. Wider, more stable, which is a blessing or curse. Stable is good, wider makes it a 'little' harder to get around the trees. After I adjusted the rear springs, ground clearance, even with a load, is good. Front rack is useless unless you strap stuff down. It sits at a down-forward angle, so stuff you just set there slips off. It has a forward storage area under the rack, which is GREAT. I can carry a lot more recover gear easily. Rear storage, above the hitch, is also pretty big. Not a fan of the 1 1/4" hitch receiver. Don't understand why they didn't just use a standard 2". But, it still works.

As I said in my first post. Would buy again.

salthunter likes this.
  9. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

05 Rancher ES, 07 Rancher AT and 18 Rancher DCT PS IRS.
    All are abused, and mainly used for utility purposed. All are used for making firewood and dragging/trailoring logs out of the woods. Only maintenance has been batteries in the old ones. Additionally, the 2005 had a rear hub bearing go out last fall. $200 repair. Bst quality is gear driven, no belt slipping or burning out when HEAVY pulling and/or using in water. BIL and cousin each have polaris machines and each have issues with belts, tires, and gas lines...
    Duck hunting buddy has a 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 400 and it has also been a flawless machine for him!
    .02 FWIW
    Good luck on whatever you purchase!!

10. Native NV Ducker

And I AM NOT, WOULD NOT, disparage the Honda brand. Great bikes.

But, to some, a $1200 difference in base price is significant.

If you are a rancher, farmer, or someone who abuses equipment, that cost is probably justified. If you just ride trails, or use it around the property, maybe not.

And, base price isn't what we would usually pay. There are always rebates and deals out there. When I got my polaris, I ended up getting $1400 off the MSRP. Dealer helped me find deals I didn't even know about. A Honda dealer could probably do the same thing, so depending on what deals are available, it might be a wash in the end.