Best 4-wheeler

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jbrown, Feb 19, 2021.

1. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

I bought my atv's new, but they were a prior model year or two old when I bought. Absolute steals if you can find dealers that have "old" new inventory!! They are typically just wanting to move them out.

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2006 yamaha kodiak 450 that I use around the house year round and for deer and waterfowl hunting. has an on-demand locker which on occasions has got me out of some mess that my friends without a locker have not been able to get out of. been great over the years. Only issue I have had is the winch solenoid going out due to where it is located under the back rack and exposed. on my bucket list to relocate the winch solenoid to under the seat in hopes of not getting wet and pooing out when needed. you typically don't need a winch till you need it and then you really wish it worked when your out by yourself and no one around to assist getting unstuck.

4 BUCK likes this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I prefer the smaller framed ones as well; so much easier when you get stuck and such. For something to use around the homestead or farm type deal I'd probably want a bigger more powerful one, but for hunting I've always preferred the smaller bikes.

salthunter likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Anyone within reasonable distance to Corinth MS looking for a Honda should look there. That place is usually about a grand cheaper than anyone else around due to the volume of bikes he sells. Or used to be years ago. Yes, 10-30% more for reliability is off-putting to some.

Rebranger likes this.
  5. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Honda has a great reputation for a reason. My 99 Yamaha couldn't be killed. It was small so I sold it and bought a Polaris 500. It's been reliable, only had to replace some bushings and batteries and just had the carb rebuilt. It's a 08 and the ride is much smoother than most other 4 wheelers. As I get older, that comfort helps. If I ever need another one, it will have power steering.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I use to be able to lift the rancher out of ruts,.. But not this past year, I dont have the strength any more. So an advantage.
    I used both machines elk hunting, the Honda had a couple inches lower clearance than the 800 Cat, Needed the bigger machine for the snow.
    I did haul my first bulloout with a 350 2x4 Polaris,

There is something to be said about service from a local dealer too.

tcc likes this.
  7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

2005 Honda Rubicon with around 5000 miles. No issues, just change the oil and transmission fluid as recommended. It will last as long as I need it.

Rebranger likes this.
  8. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

My Honda Rancher has 6 hunting seasons on it, original tires and battery. The only thing replaced was an O2 sensor. One night we had to use it to haul 3 men, one woman, 2 deer, rifles, packs, and one crossbow out through this path. One guy told me it wasn't big enough to do what I wanted. He was wrong.
    [​IMG]

Out of focus likes this.
  9. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Don’t worry about the mule, just load the wagon. Good times.

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I have client who runs Honda Quads for his cattle operation (have 15). They rack up 15 to 20k miles in 2 to 3 years and then trade them out. Just oil changes and maybe a battery. So Honda is still building quads that will last. For the average person that is a lot of years.

Randwulf likes this.