Best ever

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Oct 2, 2020.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

You know I was just thinking is a good thing I got my shoulder hurt last spring during the conservation snow goose hunt. If I hadn't have I would still be shooting 3 1/2 inch magnums. Now as it is, I haven't even fired a 3 inch shell yet this year. All 2 3/4 inch light loads and several 16 and 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge loads.
    Have I noticed a difference?
    Hell yes I'm killing more birds, I'm not suffering from recoil, and I'm letting them work more. Plus I'm having fun reloading. Win-win.

JP, JRS, Tuleman and 5 others like this.
  2. Mojo

Mojo Senior Refuge Member

Smaller guns with high density shot are unbelievably fun. It's priceless to have guys with their 3 1/2" magnums watch you kill birds with a 2 3/4" 20 gauge. Much easier on the body, and they are so much easier to carry for any length of time. I would sell my SBE, but I have stockpiled so much 12 ga ammo, I just can't let it go. I'll let the son-in-law take that punishment. Still shooting Hevi-shot that I loaded back in 2007-2010.

3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I enjoy sub gauge guns... recoil dont bother me but the lightweight low recoiling sub gauge guns I'm killing more birds than I did years past... I'll probably never ever touch a 12ga again except my 12ga 686 on the sporting Clay's or trap range here and there... I love a 20 ga and I will only use that gun from now on they are enjoyable

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Fellas don't discount a 12 ga with 7/8 oz of Steel shot , Just because the Lightning manual shows 1700 fps loads doesn't mean you have to load them
    that fast ? Choked properly and with allowing birds inside your kill zone , they do a fine job and if you back them up with a load of higher density pellets
    of a shot size for pattern density , it's a win win proposition !
    A 12 ga is usually heavier and with a reduced payload the recoil is even Less Noticeable......!

Tex68w and magnumyammerhammer like this.
  5. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I agree but not everyone reloads either... I'm considering reloading for a 20 tho but dont know when I will pull the trigger and start

Billy Bob and magnumyammerhammer like this.
  6. magnumyammerhammer

I know what you mean. Years ago I had a browning A5 magnum, 32" bbl, that was like a radar guided duck destroying machine. I got rid of it kept my Black Eagle Just because I had a case of 3 1/2 inch 2's. I definitely got rid of the wrong gun.

7. magnumyammerhammer

I shoot the model 12 heavy duck with light loads and it's nice. Shooting essentially a 20 or 16 gauge load gun like that is absolutely no recoil. Can I have some light steel loads loaded from my Black Eagle. I just haven't shot it yet. But little 20 gauge and 16 gauge are fun to shoot

8. Ravenanme

I also reload and shoot smaller gauge guns and they are fun , also very effective but I do see lighter payloads performing better in larger bore guns !
    The pellets seem to be more evenly dispersed and by the way I constrict it , seems to be more effective at longer distances than you would think . ! would
    agree there is a tradeoff but for my style of hunting over decoys , inside of 35 yds , 7/8 oz of #3's does a nice job , and follow up shots are more accurate !

9. magnumyammerhammer

Isn't that why they backbore 3 1/2 Inchers, to help all that shot get organized. Shooting of 7/8 or 1 ounce load in a 12 Has got to be about the same. Gotta shorten your shot string too.

10. Ravenanme

Well I suspected after hearing what good patterns Mossy 935's were shooting with their .775 bores the radial pressure in a 12 may be not allowing Steel Shot to stay
    together out the muzzle . Thinking if a standard bore .729 is really designed for 1 oz loads , then 7/8 oz should and does perform better , pattern wise !

magnumyammerhammer likes this.