Decoy Forum Sponsors

Best full body swimming decoy

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Pliler, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Pliler

Pliler Refuge Member

What is the best full body swimming decoy you have had or are having success with? Thanks

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I don’t know, but try carving one yourself.

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Everyone is running flocked Dakota except me.
    One day someone will pity me and...lol

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

What exactly do you mean by "swimming decoy"?
    If you're referring to a floating decoys that has a little battery-powered electric motor and tiny propeller on it....then, don't bother.

5. Pliler

Pliler Refuge Member

So no one has any positive experiences with them? So what would you say is the best way to create movement in your opinions?

6. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Jerk rig.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

You can buy any of the gimmicks out there, up to you. You are smart enough to get logged on here, you are smart enough to read the features and workings of a gadget like a swimmer.

What you aren't smart enough to figure out, because you have limited experience (that isn't a knock, none of this post is a knock on you, we all start out learning) is that they are more trouble than they are worth, for what they put out.

Use the search function, and search 'jerk string'. I can put more movement and ripples on the water with a single jerk string than you can with 5 swimmers. I can get my entire set moving with a few jerks.

I will tell you a 'sort of related' story. 17 years ago, I was new here, and hunting a public refuge. Late in the season, there were really only 2 spots that were open, due to hot water coming out of the banks. (it just sorta seeped out) I had the better spot, and good decoys. But the guys on the other spot, same pond, were out drawing me 6-1. They had a spinner, and it was working.
    So, thinking sorta like you, I decided electrics were for me, and bought a spinner. Pain in the backside, and the local birds were getting educated, so it was marginally better for me. Down to 3-1.
    I went home, and remembered my old jerk string from my days in NV. I brought it the next time. Same spots, same guys, with their spinner. I limited out, and they had maybe 2 birds. I picked up and had to walk past their path to their spot to get out. They both walked 100 yards to talk to me. Asked me my secret, and I told em it was my new flocked decoys (which DID look good) They were impressed. Never mentioned the jerk string (never, ever, trust duck hunters you are competing with on a refuge)

Refuge froze up that week, so I don't know what they did.

Jerk strings take up little room, are easy to set up, take no batteries, don't clog up with grass on a prop, never rust, and are easy to control. (jerk on the swing, or when they are way out, never when they are zeroed in on you)

Tuleman, duckslayer87 and Billy Bob like this.
  8. Pliler

Pliler Refuge Member

Thank you for the great advice! I am always looking for ways to better the odds but truly appreciate someone speaking honest and letting me know I have everything I need already. Thank you and good luck this season.

mpkowal likes this.
  9. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

Jerk rig works, those pulser/sprayer butts work, wonder duck has been around for a long time and has a good warranty; they spin in circles but move decoys around. All the other swimmers I’ve seen, usually don’t get brought out anymore. Lucky duck has been putting out some good products, and some of their products aren’t sold anymore after a few years. Their pulser/sprayer is probably their best new water motion decoy option for charging, remote, and versatility in water. Their shaker pucks, H20 Magnet, are a decent affordable option as well. If using a jerk rig, use bigger decoys on the rig to move more water.

they may have a bit better pricing around the first week of august.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...MIg6fOu-348QIVkW1vBB0vKgg5EAQYASABEgJrhPD_BwE

https://www.mackspw.com/Edge-by-Expedite-Quiver-Magnet-H2O-Motion-System

https://www.scheels.com/p/motion-du...MI_5Sv_-348QIVbm5vBB2Oaw9xEAQYBiABEgJhsvD_BwE

10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've had the misfortune of having mallards raft up just out of range. A huge raft of thousands don't really have a ton of motion is what I noticed. Sure they're moving and splashing but I couldn't tell. Big blob of ducks.
    They taught me calling timing that day.
    I got to watch ducks working ducks in.