Decoy Forum Sponsors

Best full body swimming decoy

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Pliler, Jul 22, 2021.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

skin a real duck or goose and adhere it to a motorized decoy. when I ever get done or close to getting caught up on all my to list things I am going to make a couple floating stuffers so to speak skinning a couple birds and adhering them to a decoy. know they won't last long but will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. sometimes a single or pair will skim the outer edges of the decoys and land 50 to 200 yards away and it is amazing to see the live birds decoy right to a single or pair when you have out a big spread of decoys.

2. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

A buddy of mine, long since passed on; was a taxidermist. He had 4 duck skins dried, cured, and stretched over decoys he added a 1" wood bottom to the decoys to get them further out of the water. he would use 2 on the first day of hunting and the second pair the next day. giving the first pair time to "dry out" he would put them in the "hole" if he was on a marsh there wasn't much you could do to compete with him on singles, pairs, and small groups they sucked into those "real ducks" all of the time.

3. RuddyDuck527

RuddyDuck527 New Member

I bought a jerk rig last year and it didn’t work, the line was too stretchy. I know I could make my own but do you guys know of a good one to buy?

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

How is it possible the line is too 'stretchy'? That is the whole point. Anchor, bungee cord, solid line, with clips for decoys. Set the anchor, attach decoys. When you want some motion, pull against the bungee, which causes motion, then release, which causes motion. Repeat until you pick up your gun.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Or until the birds see there's a jerk on both ends of the line and bug out...

6. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

3/8” shock cord about 15’ and any anchor or mojo pole you want (academy has good lead anchors for cheap) Tarred line with swivels or small caribiners and small 3” loops on your decoys to attach easily. Otherwise, this:
    https://www.scheels.com/p/motion-du...MI_5Sv_-348QIVbm5vBB2Oaw9xEAQYBiABEgJhsvD_BwE

7. RuddyDuck527

RuddyDuck527 New Member

It might have been the bungee because I couldn’t get enough tension on it to get it to release and move the decoys consistently. Maybe if I replace it with a stronger bungee it will work better.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Are your decoys either not anchored to the bottom, or anchored with long lines so they can move?
    I have used 1/8" and 1/4" cords, no difference. You don't want TOO thick of a bungee, or the decoys will snap back too quickly. You want a gradual movement, like a fast swimming duck.

9. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

Loop the bungee in half

10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'm blowing a call working the dog everything.
    My little spot is surrounded by things on strings. Calls, an e collar remote, extra shells etc.
    Add in the jerk rig line and I'm not having fun anymore. I've decided it's not worth it unless it's dead calm and I'm bored silly.