Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Best Marsh Chair?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by AppalachianHollers, Mar 28, 2021.

1. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I have had the Avery marsh seat for going on 10yrs, and it's still holding up. It stays wet all season long, and is still as stout as it ever was (knock on wood) It folds up nice and compact, for hauling in a kayak, and it also has a shoulder strap to pack if need be. The only problem is the padded bottom, is as hard as a brickbat. I wasn't smart enough until recently, to think of taking a cushion with me to make it more comfortable. Have to check and see if it will fold up with a cushion strapped on before, I strap one on more permanently.
    [​IMG]

2. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

At 62, I’ve finally decided a back rest is mandatory for a good marsh chair. I’ve used a small, folder for last two seasons. Now I’m adding a round swivel base.

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

In Knobel, Arkansas is a seat like that with my name on it.

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

5. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

6. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

I saw this idea: top brackets or pipe can be used to keep some back cover or overhead, like the marsh chairs. Bottom legs extend and pin, and the cross bars keep from sinking in mud. Cheap, collapses, easy to fix, and study. ABA83993-BFDF-44BB-93AB-AB00B9E472C3.jpeg

dog duck gun and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  7. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Thats a great blind seat, but not it is too heavy for humping on a death march.

9. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Your seat must have never gotten wet!
    I’ve owned 3 of the Averys in past 10 years. Get about 1.5 seasons then either the plywood breaks or entire seat just falls off. Also, most uncomfortable seat made. The price is good though. I host many people each year that fly out and hunt so I need 2 seats in my inventory. I do keep an Avery for guests.
    Cabelas are nice and comfortable. Last about the same time.
    Fold up camp chairs are great if you are always hunting fairly level ground. I spend a lot of time hunting in thick brush or one of my favorite spots is actually half way up a 6’ incline. Took my camp chair there and couldn’t get it level. Bummer, because camp chairs like Native NV uses are without a doubt the best.
    I eyed the Ergo for longevity, but the 3 legs had me concerned about comfort on uneven ground.
    When you spend 80 days a year sitting on something, you tend to over think.
    I decided to just stick with a camp chair and a cabelas depending on where I’m hunting that day. Keep both in the boat. Both are very comfortable.

10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

The avery seats are easy to repair, just replace seat with a 2x6, or 2 x 8. I probably have at least a dozen of them.

I bought several of the Cabelas northern flight seats this year. They are a tad heavy to run, and gun, but they are comfortable seats. time will tell if they hold up.

of course a rusty old folding chair is cheap, and comfortable too.....
    folding chairs.jpg

bill cooksey and blacktail like this.