Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Best new small 4- stroke outboard

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, May 27, 2020.

1. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

I had a 1980s 9.9 mercury and have a 1980s Mariner which it is my understanding was a Mercury engine built in Japan. Not sure if that’s right not interested enough to investigate. Had to get and install new cowl for the Mariner couple years ago as I inherited it with broken tiller from my dad who dropped it and broke cowl where it attached to tiller. Cowl was all cast aluminum. I wanted to run it without console controls. Can still find parts for 1980s machines at reasonable prices. These 2 strokes have run so well for me in warm/freezing, freshwater/salt water over the years I traded the Merc 9.9 for a new 4 stroke Merc 20. Wanted more power but still have 20 hp restricted areas I like. Kept the Mariner because it is actually a 15 with a 9.9 cover and don’t need two 9.9s but always good to have a backup outboard during duck season.

2. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

Suzuki. Runs great and is hundreds less than a Honda and Yamaha

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

A buddy recently put a 20 hp Suzuki on one of his boats. Real happy with it so far.

4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Good to hear this. I just ordered a Tohatsu 9.9 elec. start yesterday from online outboard to put on the back of my Vantage PX. I have never order an outboard online before so I was kind of apprehensive, but another member here is running an older 9.8 2tk on the same hull and has for years with great results. Hopefully it will be here the middle of next week.

5. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

What he said! ☝️

6. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

If you look at any fishing shows at remote places, they all have Yamahas on their boats!

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

If you go out of the US, most of the engines are Yammies or Susies. Once in a while you'll see a Merc, almost never see a Johnrude. I do like Tohatsu, a buddy just bought a 20 hp and he loves it. I bought a new yammie and am quite happy with it.

8. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

My Tohatsu 9.9 came in last week from onlineoutboards. Very happy with the buying experience, nice folks to deal with, plus very quick delivery. I went with the electric start. I had to make some modifications to my dyi jack plate but I got it mounted and have had it in the water a couple of times just trying to get it broken in. So far very pleased with the engine, quick starting, quiet, and smooth. I doubled the speed over the little 4hp Yamaha that I was running. The hull of my boat is not a planning hull so I added a Stingray Jr hydrofoil. Now it jumps right up on plane and scoots right along, gonna let me expand my hunting opportunities come this season

9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I am done with 2-stroke motors and carburetors.

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I’m was looking at 9.9s for an older Riverhawk B60, but might as well get the 15 (it’s rated for) or even 20, as there’s very little weight difference....toss up between Suzuki and Tohatsu right now for weight vs features. Not sure what an alternator adds to a manual start cost and weight, but might be good to have. I will have a trolling motor and some electronics....just trying to keep power to weight balanced.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020