Best retrieve or bird recovery ?.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was always impressed with old Maya. Surrounding the wood duck hole was a thick tangle of tree branches, tules and vines. You dropped a duck outside of the hole the dog would have to work for it... Slowly navigating, threading her way through obstacles and obstacles to retrieve the birds just to please you. She was a good dog. I miss her and the woodie hole. I miss not having a dog.

View attachment 356783
I sure miss those days George, Maya was the real deal.
There was that time when we were walking back to the trucks, both chocolates doing their thing, and I thought "can this ever get any better"? That moment was surreal, she was an absolute beauty of a dog,,,,oh, and she was tough as NAILS!
RIP Maya.
Her and Maggie are prolly up there still ripping eachother to pieces, but they're having fun doing it lol.

George

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I sure miss those days George, Maya was the real deal.
There was that time when we were walking back to the trucks, both chocolates doing their thing, and I thought "can this ever get any better"? That moment was surreal, she was an absolute beauty of a dog,,,,oh, and she was tough as NAILS!
RIP Maya.
Her and Maggie are prolly up there still ripping eachother to pieces, but they're having fun doing it lol.
Man... Our group owned that refuge for years and years. We where lucky to have been there at its best. Great times.

I sure hope Maya and Maggie made up... they are supposed to be at peace... lol

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have any pics of my girl Maggie, just a painting on the wall of her.
I went without a pup for many years as I did not have room.
Eventually the wife and I purchased a home and my wife told me there was a dog for free in the local paper she wanted me to see, which was literally a stones throw from home, so why not.
This fella brings out Maggie and she jumped right into my truck.
He said she's great with kids, loves to retrieve, but killed all of his wife's prize chickens, so she HAD to go.
I asked if she hunted and he said "not yet, she just got back from six months at the trainer and killed the wifes chickens almost immediately".
I worked her some, but it was really just her training me, she was smart.
So there we were, on our first ever hunt together. Howard Slough FR on a wet/foggy day. Birds were in the air but the fog was so damn thick it was hard to see.
I had heard some specs and from the fog emerged 3specs, 25yds out. I hammered all 3 and down they went.
I looked to my right and Maggie was staring right at me, waiting for a command.
I said "fetch" and she brought a goose back and sat. I said "fetch" again and off she went, to retrieve the bird and sit at my side. I called "fetch" again and I was like WOW, OMG this dog is the real deal, and she certainly was.
That day will live in my memory till the day I pass, she was notoriously great, every single time.
She ultimately taught ME how to work her, and work she did. I never lost a bird for many years because of her, and she made me who I was in the field, just an incredible dog.
There was a day James, Mike and I were hunting in a howling wind, just ripping hard. Maggie wouldn't break ever, she was a command driven pup, and only moved on MY call, nobody else could send her.
Well, the three of us pounded out a limit in a short amount of time while Maggie watched everything.
Eventually I said "fetch", and she was gone.
That girl laid out every single bird at my feet, all 21, and didn't miss a beat, she was an absolute stud of a pup.
As I stated, she trained ME, not I trained her. I miss her dearly and hope she's resting by Maya in gods marsh upstairs.
With the knowledge that girl passed to me I have been able to train several dogs since, studs in their own right but handed down ultimately by my Maggie.
There's big shoes to fill, actually HUGE shoes to fill, and Maggie showed me the ins/outs of what a hunting dog should be. I cannot thank her enough.
She was treated very well until she passed in my arms on the back deck after a bad seizure. My wife had never seen me cry. I wasn't crying for sadness mostly, but I had truly just lost the best hunt companion I'd ever been blessed to have. Her spirit lives in my mind, rent free, she earned her spot many times over. Oh what a dog she was.
RIP Maggie May Brott, until we meet again, Dad.

Tejas

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
A very long time ago I was asked to bring my dog to a youth hunt day at a pheasant club outside of Valley home. For most of the kids it was their first hunt. I jumped at the chance. I was amazed by the amount of kids that were there and the guys that brought their dogs to the hunt.

We took out 2 more pairs of hunters that day and everyone got their birds. I had less than 10 shells out of 200 left and one very tired dog.
I did one of those once, my junior made a great shot on the first bird. I was thinking we were in for a quick morning, then he missed 15 or 16 straight. Last bird he might have hit it, bird went quite a ways and landed in the river. My Dog made a nice retrieve to end the day. Memorable hunt and I didn’t even shoot anything.

craig wilson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My dog Jack,Jack was an extremely large lab 120 pounds very tall and you could count every rib.
It was a slow day and I decided if I was going to shoot anything it had to be a teal, a Drake cinnamon Teal flew over the tules killed the duck, I was sure Jack marked it, I sent him. He went right in and immediately came back out , no duck I stopped him and sent him back, same thing 3 more times. I was disgusted with him and gave him a comeback whistle When he came back I set him on his stand, his head was hanging low and I started chewing him out. I didn’t get 2 words in, and he spit the duck out…. It was inside his mouth the whole time……

Scott yellowdog

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Everybody who has hunted with their dog has a favorite story. I have more than a few but will start this off.

About 25 years ago doing a drift hunt on the river with 5 guys and 4 dogs and 3 boats. Hunting is going well and we are well over 20 birds and about half way to the take out spot, mostly woodies with mallards with 4 bonus honkers that basically killed themselves.

We had just jumped what we call the double hole and killed 3 birds and headed back to the driftboat when a late flushing Woodie came off the pond when one of the dogs flushed it. Woodie comes up over the trees and and headed anywhere but there. I come up and hit the bird and it sails to a small island about 75 yards down river and bounces on the shore. We load the boats and float down to the island and set out my dog Shadow. He gets birdy and starts hunting up this bird.

On the front of this island is a large pile of snags that has been deposited there during high water. 40 by 30 and about 10 feet high in the tallest place. Shadow tracks the bird to the pile and heads under it to retrieve his bird.

Things goes quite and then I hear a very loud growl followed by a what sounded like someone tossing a hand full of forks into a large running garbage disposal. A knife fight in a phone booth if you may. This goes on for about 2 minutes with the other dogs raising holy hell and wanting to get into the action. Things go fairly quite and Shadow backs out of the downed pile logs and brush dragging a very large and dead raccoon. He really didn't like raccoons. He runs the coon to my boat and drops the coon in and runs back to the hole he just came out of and under the junk once again. He comes out head first holding a nice drake woodie and hands it to me. He was never one to give up on a bird.

I still miss that dog with every fiber of my being. He was just simply the best.

We still drift that river, with pretty much the same crew, we are just a lot slower now.
They do stuff you didn't show em off the chain abilitys here's my best not bragging but hugely proud one morning we were headed down the Blue river first time cruising a few miles down river we decided to blind up on the edge on a point looking east like I said we were hunting in a new area so we were optimistic shortly a drake gadwall slid in we took care of him and my 5 yr old yellow female named Nike retrieved it tossing it up like to tell me got this. Well she got back in the boat happy as heck and we were pretty pleased so far well not long later a single hen teal comes in we stop her and when she hit the water she was stroking we sent Nike and she is very athletic and strong and so wanted to impress me every second well she wasn't gaining much and she's out there pretty good I was worried if the teal went left it was big water if they went right she would hit shore but there was a lay down with 4 or5 branches out of the water the teal heads into the lay down disappears Nike gets there and she goes around to back of lay down out of sight a few seconds pass and Nike is standing on the tree completely out of water looking around knowing she's in this lay down well directly we see the duck headed back our way Nike sees it she does an Olympic launchoff that limb it's on then the teal was a challenge but Nike grabbed her and came to the boat winded she was so happy in that moment and me and Brandon still talk about what she did that day Best dog on this planet. Lol I bet there's more awesome stories

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Most memorable was a 300 yard retrieve across 2 ditches while dry field shooting mallards one cold January morning.

Most fun was shooting sea ducks and Eiders in Boston Harbor.

We were sitting on a rock pile in Boston Harbor. We would knock a few out and Gus would retrieve them, then swim up to the rock pile.
At the crest of the wave I'd grab the bird and do an overhead hike to the Guy's on top.

Next wave crest I'd grab Gus and we would climb up to the top and do it again.

My best friend was a D.A.V. and paraplegic , he was in a barge blind with 4'sides.

We got in with him for his last 3 birds.
Gus stood up and looked over the blind.
I had to heave him over to get in the water and he would retrieve them then swim around to the other side where the door was.

His last 3 birds were Common Scooter, White wing Scooter , and a Skunk head.
He got the Sea Duck trifecta that day.

That old DD was the best dog that ever trained me.

Latest posts