Best VALUE mud motor?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 10, 2021.

1. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

Looking at getting either a 16 or 18 foot flat floored Jon boat to hunt here in Iowa.

Some of the sloughs are chock full of underwater weeds and mud, thinking a longtail or surface drive would be super helpful to have.

Likely just be me and a couple buddies plus my dog. Haven't owned a boat before so not looking to spend 20k+ on the setup, but I'm more than tired of humping all the decoys + dog and everything else I need back onto public land.

Plus I wouldn't mind being able to fish more as well.

What's the best value out there for a mud motor? Doesn't have to be the cheapest, definitely not the most expensive. I just want something that is going to be reliable. Doesn't need to be a speed demon either.

pinepointer likes this.
  2. Hawkeyebowhunter

Also, wondering if there's a company that sells the boat + mud motor together? Still in the very beginning stages of research here

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm partial to Go-Devil boats and motors, and you can definitely buy as a combo. Just understand this is a horrible period in which to buy a boat and/or motor. Just as with houses, pickups, ATVs, guns and ammo, supply is low and prices are high.

If you are talking about relative short runs and serious mud, a longtail is the way to go. If you're making long runs and just occasionally going through mud, a short shaft is generally a better choice.

Keegan, MJ, pinepointer and 3 others like this.
  4. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  5. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

DuCrazy and Hawkeyebowhunter like this.
  6. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I bought a 16 foot semi-v jon for $350 I found on Craigslist. It had all the seating removed. Put in a marine grade flat plywood floor for about $100. If you know how to do metal work/weld, you can buy a longtail shaft and fabricate the frame for a motor. You can buy engines like Briggs and Honda.

7. Hawkeyebowhunter

I'm looking more for a complete setup-no space/ability to weld unfortunately

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

From my research as I’m looking for one also, those Backwaters are gonna be about the least expensive.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  9. Hawkeyebowhunter

Looking through their website, only looks like the "marsh" boats have a flat floor, unless im missing something

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Your quest is answered in my post in the classified adds. When I purchased it my requirements were yours now.