Best VALUE mud motor?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 10, 2021.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

If you have the Book of Face there are two groups you should check into:
    - Duck Boat / Waterfowl Gear Buy Sale or Brag
    - Mud Motors for Sale
    Lots of used rigs on there.

2. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

Fast enough for me not to care about checking it. It goes pretty good with the full load, scoots right along.

3. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Have a 1652 boat that I put pods on and a Mud Buddy Sport V 36 hp motor. Plenty of power for 2 to 3 men and decoys. The main thing to me on a mud motor is the reverse. That is a must for me. Pro Drive has a full power reverse and that's great but it takes time for unit to swivel around for reverse. I like mine to back out of boat house or blind and shift to forward and go. The conditions that I hunt in is mainly old bonnets or trash. The lower unit is designed from 200 plus HP motor. Motor is louder than I like and very cold collared. Most people that I have talked to say nearly all mud motors are cold collared. I have had mine looked at several times to see if it might be out of adjustment. Once warmed up it runs fine. I have turned the breather port towards the muffler so in cold weather its sucking in warmer air. I crank it in the toy shed and let it run 10 to 15 minutes as we are getting ready to leave shed each morning before a cold hunt. Fishing not so bad. If it blew up tomorrow I would replace it with an outboard motor. The outboard worked for me for 40 years then I thought I needed a mud motor. I do go thru places now that in the past I would avoid. The areas that I hunt in all have a hard bottom so a outboard works fine as long as you keep the water pump working. In 40 years never replaced but 3 water pumps but I am particular about watching to be sure the water pump is working. I usually would drill out the fitting where water exists the motor housing.

4. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Backwater + Alweld combo, purchased from Backwater with their trailer, is the best value for your dollar on the market for new equipment. Get the Alweld with a front trolling motor bracket if you want to fish from it so you can poke around while fishing and just use the longtail to move around across the lake. Surface drives are faster and more convenient to run, but quite a bit more expensive.

I own an Alweld Marsh, size 1544, with a Backwater 23 HP and absolutely love it. I've messed around with something like a half dozen boat/motor combos and after all those, found this boat to be the Goldilocks for me. 17-18 mph loaded, low 20's empty, plenty fast for me.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  5. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

If I were to guess by comparing to my fishing boat that goes 29mph I'd have to say I'm getting low 20's out of my set up. 21 maybe 22.

6. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm going to give them a shout today, I like the looks of those setups. I'd prefer a completely flat floor, hoping to find out if that's an option for the 17' option.

7. nick b

Flat floors are included at no extra cost on the Marsh or Mud models. I think Backwater will install a flat floor for you on the Jon models, but not 100% on that.

I also meant to say Backwater isn't the cheapest (you can cobble together a 1648 and a used/Thai mud motor for like, $2500) but it absolutely is the best bang for your buck.

I ordered my Alweld and trailer through a dealer in Iowa who was easy to work with, and found a deal on a very lightly used SWOMP locally, but it didn't really save me that much money (maybe $750 total) versus buying their package and I got a basic Haul-Rite type trailer. Backwater's trailer is galvanized and has a better axle and bigger tires. However, Backwater is a 8-9 hour drive from Kansas City versus a day trip to Iowa so I just stuck with that option. So, again, their new packages are some of the best values on the market and VERY competitively priced when you consider the trailer is bulletproof and would cost 2x what a standard steel one is. I am sure they can keep their prices where they are because they manufacture the motors (and maybe the trailers too?), so they have much lower costs than even a dealer who buys it all wholesale.

If I did it all again, I'd just make it a weekend and drive up to Minnesota Saturday, pick up the boat, stay in a motel and drive home Sunday.

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

my son just sent them an email(when this thread started)about flat floors and they’ll have them in stock in June.

9. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I had a 1648 FV Mud w/ 26 Backwater. It was a great boat. Decided to try a surface drive for a while, now i'm thinking adding another Alweld...a 1544 V front w/ the 23.

Their packages are nice, and I love the trailers! I'm just waiting for my POS aluminum Titan to crack so I can head over to Backwater and buy one of theirs for my Havoc. I believe my last one was titled as a Blue Shores trailer, but I can't find the company to buy direct. I suspect it's just a small shop near Freeport that builds just for Backwater.

10. nick b

The 1544 is an excellent 2 man boat. You can do 3, but need to run light on gear. I have been surprised by its capabilities. I found the upper limit, which was 30+ mph winds on a big reservoir. I made it back to the ramp, wet from chop but safe. I was shaking so bad it took me 10 minutes to calm down and load the boat. Won’t ever venture out in wind like that again, but the boat did its job.

If you hunt 3 guys sometimes I’d probably step up to their 1644 just to distribute the weight a little better.