Best Waterfowl Hunting Books & Best Waterfowl Hunting Magazines ?

Rogue Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It looks as though I'm late to the party! Twenty or so years ago I was buying books to read on rainy days. Well, I was sorting through the bookshelf with all the dust, and came across this book. "The Canvasback on a Prairie Marsh", by H. Albert Hochbaum. Copyright 1944. My copy is stamped "Review Copy", and has a post card instructing the reader to send reviews and comments to: The American Wildlife Institute in Washington D.C. (no zip code). It's a narrative of the author's duck research project on the Delta Marsh in Manitoba. It has some graphs and tables, but not a lot. It's mostly the story about what he did and what the marsh was like, and the ducks and their movements...and the people that were there.

Had it on the shelf for twenty years and only just read it...GEEZ! And I'll say that I really enjoyed it. If you even come across a copy, do buy it.

linhardt

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Another good Magazine. Get on the pre-order.
Traditions Duck Magazine

Traditions.jpg

honga

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have most of the books mentioned and like them all. I would add Charley Waterman to that list. He wrote for Saltwater Sportsman for years and was a great outdoorsman. He wrote a bunch of stuff about fishing, upland bird hunting, big game, waterfowling and dogs. He was a great writer who told wonderful stories that are informative and funny. Always a great read.

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Traditions Duck Magazine

Traditions Duck Magazine

View attachment 333668
This same individual, Gordy Gordon, had a magazine called (Goose and) Duck Huntin', which I subscribed to-in print. Last year, I got an email saying it's too expensive to print and mail, but it would be available electronically. I responed that an electronic format was unsatisfactory. As he now boasts that TRADITIONS will be "Shipped to You in Good Ol' Printed Format," will I receive the remainder of my subscription to Duck Huntin' in Good Ol' Printed Format?

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, I was hoping for some response from Gordy of Traditions magazine. I guess I'm just SOL for the other magazine subscription of his that he suddenly decided to make available ONLY online. Thus, I'm way leary to give him more money for a printed magazine as he may decide after a few issues to revert to online-only, as he did with 'Duck Huntin.'