Best way to break in a new semi auto?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawk, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I just got a brand new SX2. After wiping off all the lovely packing oil I will be looking to get it broke in. I've only had one other semi auto and I used a box of 3" 2s to start the process. Is it really necessary to use heavy duck loads like that or are heavy field loads like 1 1/8 clay loads or even 2 3/4" lead 5s or 6s the way to go?

What is the best way? My instruction manual didn't actually say and I want to do it right.

2. Park Duck

Park Duck Banned

shoot it alot

3. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

No need to break in this gun, but it is vitally important to properly clean it by disassembling it and removing all the coatings put on the guns to prevent rust while sitting in a box or on a shelf.Then put on a good lube like FP-10 or similar product!!!

4. Raul G

Raul G Elite Refuge Member

Like Park Duck said. I bought a Beretta 3901 last month. After the important cleaning you cited, I promptly took it to the shooting range for a couple of rounds of trap. I used lead 7.5 shot"all-purpose" loads. I've taken it twice since then and it shoots really well. I did the manual indicated cleaning, learning in the process about assembly/disassembly. I would like to pattern it of course, but not sure I can do that before teal season when I plan to use it. I wished I live out in the country so I could pattern it. I understand that Winchester is a real good product, best of luck, shoot it often!

5. Don Dean

Don Dean Elite Refuge Member

I owned a SX-2 for 5 trouble free years and as all the others say get all the packing grease and oil off both the outside & inside of the gun. I've been a big fan of Slip 2000 but FP-10 is also a good lube that wont gum up or slow down the cycling during extreme cold. There really is no break in required just shoot it!!:tu

6. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys, I'll start shooting it. I've been using Corrosion X the last two years and I really like that stuff. I had a cheap semi that never jammed on me so the stuff must have worked alright.

7. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

They got it right. Clean it up and shoot it. There is a little metal to metal on the rails in the reciver the bolt rides on. There is not a tolerance issue there to warrant a break in. The bolt pushes back on the butt spring, no break in there. Gas sleeve, works or gets too dirty to work properly, no break in req.

The only thing remotely related to a break in on my Sx2 was the magazine tube. I buffed the carbon deposit area with a 3m pad every now and then. Basically polishing it to a smoother surface so the carbon was easier to wipe off when cleaning. Would be suprised how much of a difference that made.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Throw it in the bed of your truck and drive a few rock roads for a day or two.
    Then take it home and hose it off with hot water, or you can always bathe with it. Then spray the crap out of it with WD 40 ;):l:l
    Just kidding ! Give it a good cleaning before you shoot it .
    Then take it out to the dove field and hammer down a box or two of heavy game loads...........then you should be set for life !:tu