Best way to rig diver decoys?

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have about 7 dozen decoys. Manly divers with about 1 1/2 dozen puddle duck. My water depth can run from 5' to 50' depending on where I hunt. I can not hunt out to 50' because I run single drops right now. What would be the best way to my rigs. I know alot of people will say rig lines but there is rock in the lake I hunt. Any suggestions?

Minn ducker

Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you put day 18-24 decoys on a long line, you’d have just 2 anchors touching bottom. You say you’re concerned about rocks, but I don’t understand why, since you said you’re using 1 anchor per decoy now. Rigging lines of divers would mean 2 anchors per 18 decoy, for example, instead of 18 anchors. What am I missing?

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What I have seen is people do os drop one side then drag it into place

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What I have seen is people do os drop one side then drag it into place
We drag sometimes and sometimes don’t. When you get it down you can place one end then slowly go backwards and drop the rest and not drag any ends. Even if it got stuck some in the rocks doing it in reverse should get it unstuck from rock. I hunt a rocky lake with long lines and the only thing I’ve had problems with is a jerk cord anchor.

Minn ducker

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I understand. We hunt off a rocky point and put out 2 strings. One string crosses the underwater point which is very rocky. We keep one end with the anchor on it in the boat, and drive into the wind to where we want that anchor to be, and drop it. We then motor to the other end, and move that end a little ways to the positon we want without dragging the first anchor we dropped. Finally we attach the second anchor when positioned. Sometimes we can drag the achor through the rocks when picking up, but other times it gets stuck and we have to motor to where it is, and pull straight up. We use steel cable for the main line, and use 3' drop lines of parachute cord. The cable sinks below below the depth of the prop on our motor, and deeper then a swimming dog. This has eliminated all kinds of problems we had years ago when we used parachute cord for the main lines.

jolle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Long lines, with about 20 foot ends and then have extensions to clip on for deep water if needed. By far easiest and most versatile across depths that i have used. I leave my decoys attached, in leaf bags, on 3ft drops for dog.

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Do the decoys get tangled in the leaf bags

jolle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not if line and drops are stiff and you only pull on line when you're deploying them, never grab a decoy. If you don't need drops, tying straight to main line and without clips makes even less things to catch on.

Rubberhead

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've started running long lines in static water. I have a wrap weight on each end with 30 feet of line on it, then a 10 foot section before I get to a decoy. I do this on both ends. The 10 foot pigtails are usually enough, if not I can unwrap the amount I need or just let it unwrap itself as it falls. I don't have rocks and this system won't hold in much current or much of a wind but I try to avoid putting decoys out in a heavy wind if I can anyway.

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've started running long lines in static water. I have a wrap weight on each end with 30 feet of line on it, then a 10 foot section before I get to a decoy. I do this on both ends. The 10 foot pigtails are usually enough, if not I can unwrap the amount I need or just let it unwrap itself as it falls. I don't have rocks and this system won't hold in much current or much of a wind but I try to avoid putting decoys out in a heavy wind if I
How much weight should I use if I have high winds. I saw a person using a car rotor. Is that to much?