Best way to rig diver decoys?

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not if line and drops are stiff and you only pull on line when you're deploying them, never grab a decoy. If you don't need drops, tying straight to main line and without clips makes even less things to catch on.
Would the tar 120 work

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I understand. We hunt off a rocky point and put out 2 strings. One string crosses the underwater point which is very rocky. We keep one end with the anchor on it in the boat, and drive into the wind to where we want that anchor to be, and drop it. We then motor to the other end, and move that end a little ways to the positon we want without dragging the first anchor we dropped. Finally we attach the second anchor when positioned. Sometimes we can drag the achor through the rocks when picking up, but other times it gets stuck and we have to motor to where it is, and pull straight up. We use steel cable for the main line, and use 3' drop lines of parachute cord. The cable sinks below below the depth of the prop on our motor, and deeper then a swimming dog. This has eliminated all kinds of problems we had years ago when we used parachute cord for the main lines.
Is it hard to get them out in high winds?

jolle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Would the tar 120 work
Eh, most guys use larger stuff diamond braid from place like decoy rigs or doctari.

In good current i anchor boat and feed them out letting current take them and then throw a top anchor. Can set two parallel lines pretty good from one position.

In wind on a lake. Get in top position and throw a long line anchor and let wind blow you as you feed line out over side and finally throw bottom anchor. Then go back up and repeat for another until done. If you have a driver they can bump the motor to keep position.

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I use old window weights for anchors, braided heavy line for main line and 3ft tangle free drops

DWB5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is it a complicated as it seems or am I over thinking it?

jolle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Its simple. Its a rope with decoys attached. But stiff quality rope, and drops if you use them, makes life easier to avoid tangles.

I love using them, even use them on mallards and geese at times. Setup and pickup are much faster than singles.

Rubberhead

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have an alternate method I use for tidal currents where I use either a 1½ or 3 pound folding anchor but we have sand, mud or oyster bottoms. The anchors might get hung around rocks. I can't imagine trying to hunt in a wind heavy enough to require a brake rotor but can imagine that a break rotor would make a substantial weight. On windy days, I always look for the flattest water possible for my decoys.

jolle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeah those little folding grapple anchors work good in mild current, have used them on the ocean of northwest. I've never had window weights move in non-current wave action, but also setup with some shelter from main waves during such times.

In main current of a river like Mississippi that i hunt, i use a standard 10 or 15lb boat river anchor at the top and it holds, no bottom anchor needed. Ive tried a bunch of bricks and window weights and it still slid at times, anchor needs some bite. Why hunt such current? Well sometimes need to be out away from shore a bit divers are only flying middle. Other times goldeneye are feeding on rip rap banks that are swift. Go where the birds are. In these cases current is strong enough to pull first decoy down underwater and i clip on a gallon jug to be the sacrifice and take this load.

Rubberhead

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks @jolle I missed a point. Any anchor that doesn't depend 100% on weight needs to have a rode that is much longer than the water depth. 7x is a good rule of thumb for boats but for just decoys you can certainly get by with less. It's just the trade off of weight and lead length. Grapple anchors are a great example of that. Of course, you can add a chain that adds some weight but also increases the holding potential of an anchor by more than just the weight it adds. I tend to err on the side of rode length.

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How much weight should I use if I have high winds. I saw a person using a car rotor. Is that to much?
I have rotors on one of my lines. They work great and the price is right.

Latest posts