Bible Verse/ Who's right?

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets say by coinsidence that all pastors within a 15 mile radius chose to give a sermon on the same verse(s) but they all interput the verses different and give a different message based on their interpatation. Are they all right? are some right? Who decides what is right? how do we know the person giving the message is giving the interpatation that God intended to give.

All this came to my mind last week as I was sitting in church and four block away was another church - I was just wondering . Please I do not want this to be a fight.

RefugeHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There's 3 possibilities:

1. What I think.
2. What you think.
3. Reality (which is what God thinks).

I think (that would be #1) that 99.99 percent of the time what you hear and read is either #1 or #2.

#3 takes surrender, dropping the agendas, being still, being quiet and listening for that small voice which shakes the very universe at the volume of a whisper.

I would never assume that any pastor, teacher or preacher is speaking for God (#3). I would always assume that they are giving you their opinion (#2). Which means you need to go check it out to form your own opinion (#1). Then you have to realize that it's just a bunch of opinions (your's, their's, ect.) and the only way you have a chance of seeing reality is if God speaks to you himself.

qwk-qwk-b00m

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Each church could have different needs. Pastors can use the same scriptures to tend to the needs of his local congregation. The beautiful thing about scripture is that it is so rich with symbolic, prophetic, etc passages that it is possible for many pastors to preach from the same scripture and preach an entirely different message. Could be a problem with hermeneutics. Or it could simply be, by an in depth look into the passage, that several messages are wrapped up in one passage.

Take the passages about the vine. Could be used to preach about Gods provision. Or it could be used to preach about the necessity of being saved. Same scripture. Different message. No problems with the interpretation.

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I say god is such a terriable parent. He leaves this exact type of confusion for us and burns the ones who have it wrong for eternity.

Hammer

deadeye10

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
RefugeHunter said:
There's 3 possibilities:

1. What I think.
2. What you think.
3. Reality (which is what God thinks).

Apparently there is a 4th category; what Hammer surmises to be true.

ARKANSAS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
deadeye10 said:
Apparently there is a 4th category; what Hammer surmises to be true.

Nah, its getting easier and easier to ignore his posts. :yes :yes :yes :tu

Lowtide

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
mnhammer007911 said:
This is one of the reasons I say god is such a terriable parent. He leaves this exact type of confusion for us and burns the ones who have it wrong for eternity.

Hammer

You still refuse to look at the bigger picture. :fp

TPM

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's quite possible to have different "sermons" all from the same passage, as they may all be emphasizing one aspect of truth conveyed by that passage. That is one scenario.

The other, is that you have different and opposing doctrines communicated from the same passage. This of course is a problem and is rampant in our day. In this case we might ask "who is right?" Good question! We are called to be Bereans. We are not to accept the teachings of anyone without personally comparing them to the word itself. The word of God is the test and each of us is responsible to it. Of course, we are always subject to error, but we must approach the scriptures with a mind that is teachable by the HS and not one that is simply looking to justify our already dearly held beliefs. Look for that doctrine which contradicts no scripture, which harmonizes with all, which is in it's proper context and is supported by "all scripture."

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TPM, - "you" below is not meant to single you, (TPM) out, "you" refers to the christian family

How do you know "your" interpetation after reading and studing is correct- I would think that those that have opposing viewpoints on scripture interpatation belive that they have read,studied and completely understand the verse(s) and their meaning.

I sometimes feel the Bible is like the constitution without the judicial branch to interpet the "law" but in this case the word and its meaning

Latest posts