Decoy Forum Sponsors

Big Al's Decoys intro...

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Big AL1, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Curiosity got the best of me so I bought 2 dz big Al's. My 2 cents. Compared to my divebombs they are the same material and same as whiterocks also. I think big Al's color scheme is slightly more accurate than divebombs and the white rocks. I do like the few added different poses from Al's that is now added to my dive-bombs. Stakes are exactly the same from big Al's to dive bombs. Big als stakes dont go in as easy as the divebombs as divebombs mark exactly where the stake goes into the decoy. Took me few attempts with big als to get the right spacing for the stake to go through the decoy properly (about 5 corrugated holes spacing) Big Al's do not come with flocked heads and are slightly more expensive( the whole made in USA thing is what it is, lots of stuff we own isn't made in USA). So all said and done I do prefer the divebombs over Al's just due to the fact the heads being flocked for slightly cheaper price. Big Al's does seem to be good decoy and have nothing negative to say about them and look forward to using them.I personally think flocking the heads will make them "pop" more personally. I don't think the flocking would give off a shine like mentioned. flocked heads are industry standard on just about every decoy manufacture out there, I don't see it being a problem. Maybe not needed but wouldn't hurt for sure.

2. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

Thanks...check my stakes...they are heavier. That's why they go in tighter. I appreciate your comment. Made in USA is an option...but a good one for a like product I feel.

3. Big AL1

Also Steve...you should have noticed a size difference with mine being a bit larger. The larger forms along with multiple poses take up more material. Thus the slightly higher cost. Though still not sure with 5 dozen and free shipping if that cost is actually more with my product.

4. msk

msk Refuge Member

no affiliation with any decoy maker, not a "staffer" BUT I own lots of decoys LOL.
    Im all about flocked dekes. I have 2 trailers full of FB's fully flocked, 2 doz RG2's with flocked heads and tails. 5 doz DB's unflocked, and 2 doz Al's unflocked. Reason I dont want flocking on my silos, is they are mostly used in garbage conditions where i cant drive in. Also on cloudy or rain days where shine doesnt matter. I do think the new Al's are of a better quality then the DB's. The only nod Id give the DB is the mark for starting the stake but thats a once and done.
    JMO

Addicted to Decoys LOL

5. Big AL1

I have had bad experiences with flocking in the late season from Canada to Kansas to Ohio. Just with frost and snow build up...especially on fb's. I just don't go there...is it nice...yes. But am I going to switch out dekes based on the weather...no! Flocking is up to the consumer to do. I think it is overrated that is why I do not offer it. Thx.

Rangerbob likes this.
  6. msk

msk Refuge Member

I hear ya. If its a snow day all the silos go out! Full sun we think and have seen the fully flocked does make a difference.
    I will add we are insanely stupid and only shoot canadas in our faces. Any new person hunting with us tells us so LOL

Big AL1 likes this.
  7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Lonegoose in fairness I think a couple of discrepancies in your above post should be pointed out.
    Cost: DB- Unflocked 5dz. $300 + $25frt.= $5.42ea
    Flocked 5dz $375 + $25frt, = $6.67ea
    BA 5pks $380+ no frt = $5.43ea
    So your statement that Big Al's are more expensive than the DB flocked is way off, the DB's are $1.24ea or $14.88 more per Dz. I used the $25frt figure based on what I was charged for the 3dz sandhill crane decoys I just received from DB.
    Plus you failed to point out that the BA greaters are larger than the DB and come 14 per pack not 12.
    I to had more trouble sliding the stakes in the BA, which leads me to believe that if the holes are the same size then there must be a difference in wire diameter.
    I have 6dz DBs and they are going into their 3rd season and I have absolutely no complaints. As I stated in previous posts the main reason I went with BA was to be able offer a more varied look thru different poses and larger dekes. Plus if you really want your spread to 'pop' add 5dz B&Ws.
    I am not on either companies payroll but I have spoken several times with both owners and have found them very helpful and committed to great customer service.
    But I will say "made in America" means something to me.
    RB

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  8. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Was talking to an older guy last night I had just met at the Missouri State Fair (that event is an entirely different story). Conversation went to duck and goose hunting and we ended up like old friends. He’s one of those people you know just puts the hurt on birds. Local guy, always lived in that area, knew about everyone that walked buy, and guessing he has more land access than 10 guys put together. We ended up talking about decs and he runs big spreads of silos, typically 15dz - 30dz depending. Said he has 2 trailers of fb’s and they just sit. He swore by skinnies and based it off the illusion of movement they give.

ronaldo likes this.
  9. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

yeah but does his full bodies have flocked heads [sorry couldn't pass that 1 up just joking] after 60 yrs I truly believe some of this stuff is to attract hunters. yrs ago we killed a lot of birds with silos and old tires. we just converted all our expensive fb to white as well as 600 shells. we did add 12dz speck shells.

10. msk

msk Refuge Member

yeah but I'll tell ya pressure in my area is insane compared to 15 yrs ago. Then you could show up after light and toss 18 beat up shells out. Not anymore cause one field over someone has 100 FFD FB's suckin them away from ya! Ah the good ole days.........