Decoy Forum Sponsors

Big Al's Decoys intro...

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Big AL1, Apr 4, 2018.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We use to run 2dz economy northwinds and 2dz junk shells, lay under burlap for a blind, and pound em.

2. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Let's do some math on a 1 dozen purchase (ok 14 for big Al). Not everyone buys 5 dz at a rip so let's do basic 1 dozen price.
    Big Al's are $86(not current on sale price) per 14 decoys with $30 shipping = $116. Which is $8.29 per decoy.

Divebombs $70 per dozen with $25 shipping which = to $95 which is $7.92 a decoy. Now let's multiple that by 14 just for giggles which equals $110.98. so divebombs are 6 bucks cheaper per 14. So how I am "way off" on my post saying big Al's are more expensive? Who cares if the decoy is slightly bigger. That's irrelevant to the price. I did notice the stakes are slightly thicker on big Al's. I'm curious if they are more likely to rip out of the side of the decoy when pushing them into harder ground. Knit picking for sure here but you can see the wire outline through the big Al decoy. Like I said before I have no complaints and also bought big als for added poses. Both companies customer service seem to be great. However, divebomb did send me some free gear for doing a review on their decoys and for using and mentioning their decoys on some of my hunts on my YouTube page. Doesn't get much better in my book. End of day both decoys brands are fair priced and seem to be good quality. Each year I get more and more confidence using skinnies over my full bodies.

3. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Really enjoy your honker vids steve, just a recent subscriber from last season. Looking forward to what you come out with. Do a couple vids on how you set your spread.

marshmob likes this.
  4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

It is pretty simple really. In your post you were not comparing regular DBs but their flocked heads which you stated were "slightly cheaper" than BAs. So let's do the real math using your version of someone only buying 1dz which I am betting is a very small percentage. DBs (flk) $85dz + $25frt=$110 or 9.17ea. Now BAs(non-sale) $86 (14)+$22frt=$111 or $7.71ea. BAs= $1.46ea cheaper or $20.44 per pack less. BAs frt cost is actual cost quote not $30 as you stated. Now if you really want to make things for real, BAs on sale $76(14)+$22frt=$7ea or $26.04 per pack cheaper.
    So to put things into perspective here is what I see:
    DBs- Flocked heads
    BAs- larger size, heavier stakes, more poses and "Made in America", $26.04 cheaper.
    As I have stated I have 6dz DBs that will be mixed in with 12dz of my BAs so I am a believer in both companies. I owe no allegiance to either since neither has ever given me anything. I am just trying to be fair by comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges

5. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Thank you sir. Will have few more in depth videos /hunts this year as far as set ups.
    After re reading my post I see where it looked like I was comparing flocked to unflocked but I meant I leaned towards divebomb for the option of flocking. I was charged 30 bucks to ship 2 dozen from big al..no matter what size my order at divebomb it has always been 25 to ship...so here are apples to apples so you say.
    Divebombs on sale right now for 10% off purchase if use promo code. so painted to painted comparison and on sale to on sale comparison of big al to divebomb. 2 dozen purchase which could be the norm. Who knows. Who cares.
    Big Al's. 76 x2+30= 182 ÷ 28 which is 6.50 per decoy
    Divebomb 63x2+25= 151 ÷ 24 which is 6.29 per decoy.
    So big Al's you would end up having 4 more decoys but pay 31 dollars more.
    So say 4 more decoys from divebomb 4x 6.29 = 25.16 plus 151= 176.16 for 28...Yes I'm aware you can't but 28 divebombs. So in theory unflocked divebombs compared to big als unflocked are slightly cheaper. :) Last time I will comment on this matter because it's useless anyways. People have preferences and their choice on what to buy. Thanks for keeping it civil. Good luck with your skinny rig this year.

6. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

This math all seems correct to me. Basically, when you boil it down they are the same price ($0.21 per decoy is not a significant difference.) Comparing the BA to DB, the BA are larger with a heavier stake. For my hunting purposes these are positive characteristics and the reason I added the BAs to my spread this year.

7. Rangerbob

Your distortion of facts is really baffling. I wonder where you came up with $63dz from Dive Bomb. Their website clearly states $70dz for less than 5z. Now maybe you get special pricing. But again when we compare what the average hunter has to pay you are not presenting honest numbers. But as you said " It doesn't get much better in your book" when you get free stuff from a mfg. Maybe there lies the answer.

msk likes this.
  8. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

I'll repeat what I've said previously here at the 'Fuge. Do the scratch test on the DB's. They fail! The clear matte finish come off easily. What's left is the shiny color finish underneath. The Big Al's pass! I have both brands. I bought five dozen DB's(flocked Canada's) and ten dozen Big Al's(6 of Specks and 4 of X14 Canada's) this spring from the respective companies. I'll be using both brands. I do like the DB bags.

9. Rangerbob

I also like their bags. I just ordered 4 for goose silos and 1 for sandhill cranes.

10. msk

msk Refuge Member

Thats usually the case with folks that go over the top with whats "the best" . Dont think that was the case here but its typical.