California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Big game gear reviews...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by freefall, Oct 17, 2020.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

So after taking 4 animals here in Wyoming & using some new gear I figured I’d give some feedback before I forget.

Outdoor Edge Zip Pro knife ... Absolutely incredible. I’d rather forget a lot of things than this knife. I use the gutless method and process my own animals and this thing is a game changer when it comes to skinning. Buy 10..

Crispi Nevada uninsulated boots... I covered a lot of ground and did a good amount of vertical climbs and let me tell you these boots were awesome. I typically don’t care for a stiff boot but they were just right rather I was walking flat or under load up or down hill. My back & legs felt great every day and I was never happy to take them off at the end of the day.

First Lite merino... I tried the light weight hoody base layer & heavy weight 1/4 zip base layer. Buy them. No stink, no itch, stupid comfortable and a huge reason I was warm in biting cold.

Sitka Kelvin Lite Jacket... I was cautiously optimistic that something that light could be warm. It made a believer out of me day 1. Stupid warm & incredibly light.

Sitka Timberline & Mountain pants. I didn’t think I’d like the knee pads and I really didn’t when I was hiking but , when I was shooting off sticks and breaking down animals they were money. These pants were very comfortable, warm yet breathable & tough yet quiet. I’m a fan.

Darn Tough socks , American made, stupid comfortable and no hot spots. I already ordered more for ducks.

Leupold VX6 ... incredible for a hunting scope. Light & clear, couldn’t be happier.

Vortex Ranger Rangefinder, was good to have on one doe. The angle was steep and the calculation was spot on. Plus it was fun to teach my boys ranging by playing the guessing game on terrain.

Hornady Precision Hunter 178 grain ELDX... all I can say is DAMN... that thing bores holes boy. Everything was HAMMERED. The buck I killed had a fist size hole and I watched him bleed gallons before he fell over. Truly devastating.

FB7D87F7-57F0-453C-A2DE-039C4EC8C91B.jpeg

The Tikka T3 was accurate as usual and a pleasure to shoot.

My wife had on a Sitka Jetstream jacket and it fought off the constant wind and kept her warm & it’s light to boot.

If I think of anything else I’ll post it up.

2. freefall

Bog Tripod... I’ve used the bipod and had mixed feelings & experiences with it. Shooting prone isn’t an option where I hunt 98% of the time so a set of sticks helps smooth things out especially with the wind. These were incredible. I highly recommend them or something like them.

dl537 and OGblackcloud like this.
  3. dl537

dl537 Elite Refuge Member

I have the same tripod and bought the spotting scope adapter for it as well. Great tool and it's lightweight.

freefall likes this.
  4. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

Great review! I need new gear and trying hard to find stuff still made here, which is not much.

5. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

I bought a trigger stick (?) with legs that self level about three years ago and so far really like it. A little heavy but a lot quicker then the big pod I had. that being said I never have used it for the spotting scope- not sure I would trust it with a $2k spotter on it.

freefall likes this.
  6. freefall

Yeah I have a separate tripod for spotting. This one was strictly for shooting & it’s done great for that. I’d feel comfortable putting a set of Bino’s on it with an adapter though. Which I’ve grown to really like. I’ll be looking for a set of 15’s for that this off season.

7. Desertcj

Desertcj Senior Refuge Member

I have the short gen 3 trigger stick. I like it because it's so quick to set up but as far as I can remember I've killed everything using the bipod on the rifle. Yes, the grass and sage is sometimes too tall and it's annoying.

freefall likes this.