Big Lead

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Dec 11, 2020.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

You guys who shoot heavy lead shot, say 4 buck down to BB's, at coyotes, what choke are you using.
    I'm talking just lead shot, not Hevi Shot for TSS.
    I've always heard that open chokes give better patterns, Though I think I recently read something about some guys are using turkey chokes? I'm thinking about using the Benelli with a modified factory or the Model 12 full choke?
    Thanks Daniel

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

My invector plus barrel with the factory full likes 4 buck. It does put a lot of holes in the side of pigs at 30 yards.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  3. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

In 12ga I found the extended .705 worked ok. Though when I actually carry the shotgun it has the factory rem choke in it. I carry it in the timber when ranges are close. Shooting Coyotes out in the sage they ran off too often. I just shoot them with the 223 or 22-250. I was out yesterday with no luck.

4. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

I want a tight pattern, so full choke but load must be pattern, if holes then maybe too tight drop down to Imp. Mod.

5. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

With big lead shot I would go with a IMP/MOD or FULL choke for coyotes.

If your reloading for coyotes the lead BBB or lead T shot that BPI sells are two great sizes for shooting coyotes. 1-1/2 oz loads of lead BBB or T shot give you way more pellets per shell than you get with 3" 1-7/8 oz of Number 4 buck.

Lead BB shot just barely gets the job done on smaller coyotes out to about 45 yards. For coyotes at 40 yards and less I would rather shoot lead BB shot with about 77 pellets per shell than shoot 3" Number 4 buck with only 41 pellets per shell.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.

1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards and has about 77 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
    1300 fps lead BBB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 55.8 yards and has about 65 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
    1300 fps lead T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 66 yards and has about 56 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.

The lead BBB shot gets good penetration on coyotes and with 1-1/2 oz of shot has about 24 more pellets per shell than 3" 1-7/8 oz Number 4 buck load has per shell.

When I could use lead shot to kill coyotes I used a 2-3/4" FGM hull with 1-1/2 oz of lead T shot and it worked better than the Federal Premium 3" 12 ga 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BB shot goose loads that I had.
    [​IMG]IMG_2400 - Copy (2) by , on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2408 - Copy by , on Flickr
    My son Wes is the shooter in the above two pictures.

[​IMG]IMG_8047 - Copy by , on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_8045 - Copy by , on Flickr
    I got the second picture of the above coyote a split second after my buddy hit the coyote with 1-1/2 oz of TSS #3 shot. We ended up getting 4 coyotes with shotguns on that one stand 2 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]IMG_8075 by , on Flickr

Farm4wildlife, JRS, JP and 5 others like this.
  6. magnumyammerhammer

Wow! Those are some great pictures.
    What's the coyote in the second picture doing? Barking at your son, are growling?
    Daniel

7. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

That coyote is reacting to being hit with a 1-1/2 oz load of Rem HD BB shot, in less than a second after that picture was taken the coyote was dead.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  8. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

For Coyotes I am using #4 copper plated buckshot out of my 20ga. Using an extended Improved Modified choke is giving the best patterns. It’s a Carlsons Prairie Storm Late Season extended choke.

Kills em plenty good at ranges that are a bit too close for the rifle.

9. magnumyammerhammer

How many pellets do you get in that load Neighbor Guy? My little 20 would sure be nice to carry into stands.

10. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

24 pellets in the shell.

If you rolled your own copper or nickel plated BB would probably be better. But I don’t know if anyone loading that for a 20ga in lead.