Big Push of Canadas

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Seems with the snow that went through up north and the recent strong NW winds there is a good number of Canada’s around. More this year than sometimes in early December. Lower Cecil and Kent seem covered up pretty good right now. Seems like a decent amount of ducks around too. Hoping for a cold, cold, cold year. Hopefully we keep getting pushes of new birds and they stick around. What’s everyone’s observation? Only a few more weeks and one of the oldest Eastern Shore traditions will be alive and well again and a new season of memories will be made.

2. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

We had a big push of Canadas into Montgomery County since Thanksgiving. Seeing them in a lot of spots and hoping they stick around for the opener.

B2M

3. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

While there is a increase in geese I am still seeing less then normal around Worton

Puddle duck numbers in the Tri state area are way down from what I have seen...

4. Langford

Worton goose numbers have been down for at least the last 5 years. Don’t know why but has to do with roosting ponds cause there is plenty of food. Must just be using the river and other areas.

5. Bendlikeareed

Bendlikeareed Refuge Member

the geese are shockingly dumb at the moment as well...never had so many geese decoy in my limited hunting experience

6. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Don’t kno about geese but was a lil disappointed in duck numbers Thur n fri.

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Geese numbers seem about right for this time of year to me, nothing special, but not bad either. For the past 5-10 years we usually didn’t start picking our big numbers up until the first two weeks of Dec.

As for ducks, it was one of the worst first splits I’ve ever seen, and one of the best second splits. Been seeing a lot more puddle ducks in Nov. than usual.

8. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

Compared to last year? Goose season looks to be good. But I am with Trevor, it's where it should be. Did not see the ducks he did though.

Geese are dumb as hell right now also. Cruising 15 yards above my head when I am standing in the open with a gun.

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I personally did not experience a lack of geese last year, I thoughts numbers were about average, although a lot were in traditionally uninhabited areas.

The real issue I saw last year was a lack of dumb geese. They were the most ignorant suckers I’ve ever hunted. I killed my fair share, but it was a lot of tough long days and much more work than it ever was in my lifetime. With a good hatch this year, I don’t foresee that being an issue this season.

10. Langford

Trevor, compared to the 3 stellar years we have had recently, starting with 2010-2011, 1 year in between I can’t remember what one, and 2017-2018 there was a lack of geese last year. That’s what I compare to. Maybe on average there wasn’t a lack of geese last year but I compare each year to banner years cause that’s what we hope for. Certainly more here this time of year than there was last year early December. I am all over Kent and lower Cecil several times a week and converse with a guy everyday who drives around all parts of Kent Monday-Friday for a living. He agrees. Last year lack of geese until late. This year more here than early December last year. Just hope they stick around and more show up. It’s going to be a quick one, just have to make it count and get out as much as possible. I have 14 days scheduled off, hope to sneak another day or two.

Rumor mill will start up around end of January about what they will do next season. Whether we really are in for 3 years restricted season or if since they did this out of precaution, and there was a decent hatch, we will be back to 50 day. Time will tell. I would love to sit on that committee as I am very interested in the deciding factors and I read annual report every year. Just wish they gave us Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday and then started season day after Christmas and ran until end of Jan, early Feb. Seems like it would have been more logical and would have kept many people’s Thanksgiving tradition of a goose hunt alive. Also Christmas Day is now one of our counted 30 days, and let’s face it not many people have the ability to hunt Christmas Day because of children and family obligations.

dr.cripple likes this.