Big Push of Canadas

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’m just comparing to our average year, can’t really compare to banner years as those aren’t the norm.

I also drive lower Cecil, all of Kent, and parts of QA about 4 days a week just to see bird numbers and behavior. What I noticed last year wasn’t a lack of birds, but a shift in their roost and feeding areas. There were large amounts of birds in areas I hadn’t seen any in for 10+ years.

2. dr.cripple

dr.cripple New Member

Your comments are spot-on from what I have seen. Southern New Castle County Delaware had more Birds for the 3-day Thanksgiving season, than I have ever seen for that time of year. I debated with Trevor after the end of last season that the bird count was far below normal. Not only were they smart, as he indicates, they were also present in far lesser numbers in the areas I hunt in Southern New Castle County and Cecil County Maryland. My observations last year matched with everyone I spoke to, and most everyone who posts on this forum. But that was last year, so no sense rehashing that. Things look very very good for this season so far. Lots of birds here now, and with the 6 to 8 inch snow the Finger Lakes, expect more to continue pushing in.

3. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Even birds in unusual areas didn't make up the missing birds in popular areas.

I'd say smaller flock sizes allowed use of less resource dense area.

I noticed birds in different areas also, but I don't know that I would normally care to notice them before because the numbers were smaller. I wasn't looking at huge black fields.

dr.cripple likes this.
  4. Cfoty

Cfoty Senior Refuge Member

Years ago Rock Hall gun club rented and shot big roosting pond outside Worton. Since then the geese never really came back. That pond is about 4 acres and was always covered with geese

5. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Heard the same thing. Rock Hall Gun Club was a problem for sure. I think they have an off spin still going but lost many of their properties they rented. Renting out 6 pits on one farm just doesn’t work on an average year and they would lose leasees usually at end of season. Good news was there was another sucker right in line to take their place.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Elgen's pond in Worton was a big roost for a long time, it held birds after RHGC left it and the new lease holder managed it pretty decently (hunted it typically 2-3 times a season total) but for whatever reason birds stopped using it. It also was a staging area as a lot of birds would come to it in the morning and hang for a bit before going out to eat.

Theory question as I think about Elgen and a few other places, is the rise in eagles having an impact, I'm thinking more harassment than killing of birds?

7. Trevor Shannahan

I’ve witnessed first hand a group a 3-4 Eagles shift a major traditional roost/loaf area out of the area completely. They harass them constantly and after a week or so the geese get fed up with it and leave the area.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

2nd split we had a lot of geese and a fair number of ducks around, a week later they were all gone, I can say for certain not from hunting pressure. I had 7 eagles above me most of the morning, counted up to 10 at a time within view.

I've also noticed that the ducks that we do have now loaf in shade/under tall trees rather than mudflats.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  9. Trevor Shannahan

I do believe that we had a good chunk of our early birds in Kent continue south. At one point during the first duck split I had about 4-5k using the Millington area, it slowly went down to about 1k. Those early birds always seem to leave and head down to Talbot and Dorchester, then we pick our birds up around this time.

It definitely could have been eagle pressure in your case though. Like I said I’ve seen it before and that was birds that had been here and normally would stay put.

10. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Live and hunt in Chestertown and Rock Hall for 48 years. I feel there are average numbers in Kent Co.