Big Push of Canadas

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Dec 4, 2019.

1. dr.cripple

dr.cripple New Member

I gave up the lease on a very good Goose Farm in Cecil County about 5 years ago. Eagles moved in and the roost near that farm, which had been there for years, moved and no other birds came to take their place. Went from a very very good Farm to a useless Farm due to Eagles

2. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

I drove from Elkton down 213 today. Drove around Warwick & Cecilton then down to Kennedyville, Turner's Creek,& Stillpond. Never saw a goose anywhere. Not in any fields, not in the air, & not on the water.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

You weren’t looking very good then

4. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

I hunted near Elgin’s for over 20 years. After RHGC shot the place the geese never really came back and the number of eagles weren’t noticeably higher. I wise man I knew once told me if you shoot a roost the wrong way it will ruin it forever. I hunted on a farm near tolchester that had two roost ponds. The man that ran the club would never let anyone get near them and definitely couldn’t shoot near them and the geese never left. RHGC screwed up the whole area plain and simple, Eagles had little to do with it

Langford and Trevor Shannahan like this.
  5. WABBIT-SLAYER

Oh yes I was and had someone with me to prove it.

6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I made the same ride that day except the Elkton to Hacks Point stretch and saw plenty of geese.

7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Who actually cares. Your allowed 1 for 30 days. It’s as bad as the Midwest n their mallards. Big dumb trash can lids to shoot at. All that money wasted to kill 1. If sleep in n try again next year.

8. WABBIT-SLAYER

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you. We know what we saw or rather what we didn't see. Maybe it was the time of day, 11:30-1:30. Maybe they were out in a part of the Bohemia or Sassafrass where we couldn't see them. There were none in Turner's Creek. I should have known you would disagree with anyone who didn't agree with your observations. That seems to be your thing.

9. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

I drive this stretch several times a week. As of late they have been feeding fairly early, and heading back to water by 9. Then heading back out right before dark. They did fly much of the day last Saturday though.

10. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Each is own. I love shooting ducks but my favorite is a flock of geese feet down in the decoys. I really enjoy working geese. You can work ducks too, but where I hunt (except divers) they are usually either coming or their not. Just the way it is. If I can only shoot one that’s fine, just glad to be out in the field. Think about all the times you deer or even waterfowl hunt and never pull the trigger. That’s just not what it’s about for me. Just enjoy being outdoors.

Bwana1 likes this.