Big Push of Canadas

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Dec 4, 2019.

1. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I think geese are more spread out now. I’ve never seen as many geese now in Baltimore county as I’ve ever seen. Not getting into the ap vs rp argument but there’s a lot of geese around and geese attract geese. Regardless of species

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Don’t believe it.

Allan likes this.
  3. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Fairly confident Earleville sees many geese every year. I know Massey/Sudlersville area probably don’t get anywhere near what they used to but very very few areas in Earleville actually havnt seen geese in years. It’s a very productive area, especially down near grove neck. Won’t find any farms for lease down there.

4. Langford

Speaking of Mid 2000s goose numbers-and talk about a fall off, How about Rising Sun, Md. Don’t know what happened up there but I grew up hunting out that way and alway had an abundance amount of geese to hunt. Usually would see large duck bunches (probably from the flats) flying high to farms out that way. And plenty of snow geese were around too. Killed many a limit just east of Rising Sun growing up.

Over the last 5-10 years wow what a fall off. I drive out that way consistently and many of the ponds that were huge roost now hold less than half the amount. Knutson Pond is still a big roost pond but some of the rest not so much. The one off 273 on the dairy farm right outside the town used to be black. Now maybe see 20 geese on it when they are there. They used to trade back and forth from pond to pond and we could shoot geese morning and afternoon. Now I wouldn’t pay to lease any farms out that way. Just doesn’t have the birds consistently or in large numbers. Glad I made the move to hunt south 10 years ago. Still some birds around Oxford, Pa and Fair Hill, Md but not like there used to be. Same with Kent County. Fall off everywhere.

5. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

Not looking good anywhere

6. Langford

It’s not as good as it was but I can’t say that it’s not looking good anywhere. I have a small private club that has 4 leases in Langford, one in Still Pond, and two out towards Millington. Scouted Saturday morning and had birds on every farm but one. I can’t call that bad, just can says it’s not like it used to be. I also have my outfitters license and run a few parties each year, I am not concerned about not being able to limit a party with one goose per person, just don’t completely understand the fall off in number compared to 10-15 years ago. You can argue cover crops up north, weather, global warming, the hatch, but I don’t buy any of it 100%. I think there are just less geese probably from some over harvesting and probably a little bit of a combination of the rest. (Maybe not the global warming part that might be a liberal lie)

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Are you not riding around on weather days? Geese in dang near every field in Kent and lower Cecil. This is the most birds I’ve seen in Dec. in probably 8-10 years. It’s going to be a good season.

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Grove Neck yes, but there are some fields in Earleville that I used to smash geese in that I bet haven’t produced more than 20 geese a year since.

You are right about those other places though. North of Massey and the Sudlersville area have definitely fallen off the hardest out of the areas that I used to hunt.

9. Mr_Mallard

I have 3 water blinds in earleville and its the only spot i know i will kill geese at no questions asked but i hunted south today fishing bay and on my way home almost every field had geese in it even saw about 500 snows in a field at 301 and 213 centreville exit i doubt its going back to normal for awhile we will keep these low limits for at least another year maybe 2

The real question is why is there more hunters now then back say 10 20 years ago i use to hunt a few fields in rising sun back in my teens with my uncle and we could have a limit in 20 mins it would take longer to set the decoys out

10. Mr_Mallard

I ment puddle ducks