Big Tree Fall Hard

Sam Ortmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is that for an actual cord?

1. What Bill asked.
2. Is that hard wood, soft wood, or mixed?
3. Dried or green?
4. Regardless of all the above, I bet it's still cheaper in your area based on simple supply and demand.

New England is literally surrounded in hard woods, but because of that many, many people use wood stoves for supplementary or primary heat. So regardless of the abundant supply, demand is still very very high, especially given the longer winters.

Hell, many tree companies in my area will remove large trees for free if the number, size, and species are right (basically softwood is junk, and it's hard to even give away).
1) I’ve never seen a full cord advertised for $60, but I have seen face cords for $30, so I just did the math. I have seen 6 cords of wood for sale for $450.
2) Hard woods. Most all of the woods around me are hardwoods, other than cedar and the occasional short leaf pine.
3) Various states of cured.
4) That might be true. I will say, we heat our house with wood and I know a fair number of people who do the same and a TON of people that burn a cord or two of wood a year supplementally, either in a stove or a fireplace.

I have seen cords at $200+ and I know I’ve seen ONE at exactly $300. I don’t pay much mind to those though cause it pretty easy to find ones for much cheaper. There’s a lot of “we’re just trying to get of a dead relatives firewood” sales going on. Hell, I’ve seen adds that say it’s free to anybody with a truck.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh I think that’s a hundo percent. I got the same vehicle. He’s my kinda white trash beautiful.
The Lexus is my wife's rig.......
Here's what mine look's like ( sort of). this one got totaled 5 years ago when my neighbors tree fell on it. It was only 2 weeks old at the time. I replaced it with another one just like it.
IMG_4282.jpg

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The power company cut an ash tree out of my yard a couple of months ago. It took them 3 days to get it done. They didn't have a bucket truck with a long enough boom and had to bring in a climber. I tried counting rings and got up around 100. I've got two ash trees in the backyard that will have to come down eventually when the emerald ash borers get up this way. I'm guessing it'll cost somewhere around 8 grand to get it done. They are truly huge.

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The power company cut an ash tree out of my yard a couple of months ago. It took them 3 days to get it done. They didn't have a bucket truck with a long enough boom and had to bring in a climber. I tried counting rings and got up around 100. I've got two ash trees in the backyard that will have to come down eventually when the emerald ash borers get up this way. I'm guessing it'll cost somewhere around 8 grand to get it done. They are truly huge.
At 8K it might be cheaper to treat those ash trees. Some pretty effective ones being used. Emerald ash beetle has been in my area for 10 years and decimated a lot of them. But people who have injected them still have perfectly healthy trees. Not sure of the cost anymore since I last looked into providing that service for about 15K trees on a bid project. Goes by diameter of tree (number of injection sites). All comes down to what value you place on them and how much value they add to your property. If you do treat them, pony up for the injections. Don't fall for the soil drench method.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My daughter's car was totaled last year.

We don't park on the street that often,.......usually only when we are shuffling cars in the driveway.

BMW.jpg

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
face cords for $30,
That's an amazingly low price. A couple of years ago I thought I was going to run out and stopped by a local shutter. Kid you not, 165 for mixed face cord. And....as I walked through the place his face cord stacks were about a foot and a half short of a full 8 ft x 4 ft high