Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

Tie a little string on the plug so it doesn't go under.

2. sbe023

sbe023 Senior Refuge Member

Commenting Lake Erie you definitely have to know what your boat is capable of handling please find out in the summer.and don't go out underpowered especially with all the duck hunting equipment and buddies you may have on board

billblack likes this.
  3. Rock hunter

Rock hunter New Member

Yes lord, actually got caught out on the lake this week testing my new boat when the wind came. I slept on an island until morning. Already came too close, twice, to sinking a larger boat than what I was in.

billblack likes this.
  4. Joe Guide

Joe Guide Refuge Member

Too many deaths occur to a combination of events, yets we too often see small boats, canoes with underpowered engines. hypotherma kills and no duck or goose...is worth you going out in 30K > winds in winter.
    ***++*** Nothing like keeping a {waterproof Emergency Float Bag} with complete change of -wool clothes, socks, wooly hat, gloves...thermal blanket, small med kit. fire starter/waterproof matches and lighter).

I keep one of those kits in my skiff (JUST in case) and a Mr. Heater can be a blessing too, I used to float and fish nasty weather and big rivers in Western WA State. Winters there werer quite different, and used to see lots of Hypothermia cases working SAR out of NAS-WI, WA.

All flyways are unique and different issues evolve....be prepared....use some good...common sense...and enjoy your outdoors experience.

V/R
    Joe Guide
    OWAA Outdoor writer

billblack likes this.
  5. lowandslow

lowandslow New Member

after I loaded 2 guys in the layout, I noticed I was taking on water and only had one of the 2 plugs in, I pulled into the some nearby cattails and cut the stalk down low where its stiff and crammed it into the plug hole. it stopped immediately and we were able to hunt that day.
    we were only a mile from the ramp, but keep that in mind it worked nicely.

billblack and Dogface like this.
  6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Was out once and found I had no plug for the drain. Pulled out a socket from my tool kit, took a couple of wraps of duct tape for custom sizing and hammered it into the hole. It was a little bit of a bitch to get out, but it saved a hunt.

billblack and Dogface like this.
  7. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

You guys don't keep spare plugs in your tool kit?????

8. DAL

DAL New Member

A lot of good info here that I will use. Particularly having flares available, and a satchel of emergency items attached to a pfd, just to name a couple. But sorry, if one thinks that a substitute for a plug at the ramp, or point, is to use a socket rapped with duct tape or shoving the bottom end of a cattail reed into the drain hole of a boat, in order to complete the hunt, is considered a better option then to cancel the hunt, formulate a plan and head immediately to the launch when suitable to do so...well...then I guess I just don't get it..
    As forest said...Stupid is as stupid does. But that's just me ;)

billblack likes this.
  9. HaydenHunter

Yes I do, until I open the kit one day and it's not there.

10. HaydenHunter

Well, if you go through this thread and look at all 6 pages you will see that I have posted often with helpful and possibly life saving info / tips, but I don't think it's the end of the world that I wrapped a little duct tape around a socket and tapped it into the hole to save a hunt. Come on...it worked as well as any plug. I spend a lot of time and effort to make sure my boat is in top running shape, so it's not like I am running a clap-trap death rig.

What happens on my boat is if I leave the plug in a certain area of the boat after removing it it will rattle over and slide under the floor. I probably have 15 plugs under the floor that are not retrievable. And I don't want to seal the floor, as bilge water would have no way to make it to the bilge pump.

Sometimes you get caught out there with no plug and all of your backups have been used / lost. Necessity is the mother of invention.