Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

If I show up at the ramp, and all 3 of the plugs in my boat happen to be gone...i'm sure as F not cancelling the hunt! It's not that hard to plug a drain...stick, plastic bag, etc.
    Some people are just scared of the water.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Empty shell will work if you have tape. I keep electrical tape in addition to a ton of other stuff in the boat tool bag.

Electrical pliers, reg pliers, several rolls of wire, tape, two socket sets, fuses, two spot lights, cotter pins and shear pins for one old motor that has one, air horn, rubber hoses and hose clamps, adjustable wrench, bunch of screwdrivers and a socket driver. The bag is heavy but is no bigger than a small blind bag. I have a milk crate under my console with other stuff. Bungee tarp straps wrapped around the outside, old prop as a back up, extra rope, roll of blue towels, small dry box with tp in it.

billblack likes this.
  3. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

I mostly hunt backwater flooded timber.

things I have learned.......
    GPS your location, put on float plan. Leave a copy attached to the fridge at home. Another on Dash of your truck. (a GW/officer patrolling by, sees your truck sitting by itself at the ramp. Just might be the one that starts the search for you).

check in with family during the hunt. A simple I am ok, takes a second. Text when packing up, to head home. And again when you are safe at the ramp.

the bottom of my boat is painted hunter Blaze orange. ( hitting a submerged log and flipping is not something you want to experience.)

keep a military VS17/GVX signal panel marker in the boat. ( mine is in my floating blind bag)
    Chem lights will last longer than batteries ( IR chem lights will assist searchers at night) keep one in each persons coat attach to person/pfd ( especially if in the water)

Get a surplus handheld military Strobe Light. (Aircrews carry them for a reason)

hunting alone is just not worth it. But if you do... put pfd on when you exit the truck. Slipping on a icy ramp as trying to launch boat, banging your head and being knocked out, drowning in inches of water at the ramp.....well you get it.

Dead trees are widow makers. DO NOT tie up to them, do not push off them if boat is going to hit it. Make sure everyone in boat understands that.

zip ties are a good thing ( can keep many things held together in a pinch) such shift/throttle linkage.

multiple drain plugs secured to boat.

always top off tank prior to launching

bring extra coat that is heavier than you think you are going to need.
    ( you may not use it, but if needed.....)

keep a cheap key chain box cutter ( razor knife) in wader pocket/coat pocket.
    It has been debated about waders filling with water... but in case they do. Use the razor knife to Put a slit In boot. Keep waders on. When cold even wet layers are better than no layers. ( pull one layer off, dry by fire and swap out until completely dry).

when making a fire, the smokier, the better. oil helps. Smoke plums are good.

4. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

In MD last season we lost two young hunters in a small river my daughter lives on, in fact right across from their marina. Small boat, no PFDs, wind came up. One guy made it to shore and two drowned. No duck is worth your life.

Our crew these days uses a 21' Carolina Skiff type boat, center console, and the guy who usually runs it is a licensed captain, bay and ocean. My own boat is an 18" Lowe Big Jon with 20" transom. Very safe boat and never takes water over the stern. My old partner just wouldn't go out if the winds were much over 20 mph. We always erred on the side of caution but we had some scary times early on before we saw the light.

billblack likes this.
  5. Masterchiefmike

Masterchiefmike Elite Refuge Member

Orange Mustang PFD with a whistle and Pelican light attached. Dry bag with towels and dry clothes. Have enough boat for where you hunt and I keep a heater, some food and water in the boat all the time. The above comment about not being afraid to beach it is smart, I have done that twice over the years to wait out a bad storm. Watch the weather, practice your boat handling in the off season. More often then not you will have friends with you who trust your judgement and knowledge of your boat and that you will bring them home safely. I'd like to echo the comments on redundancy...30 years going to sea on submarines taught me that redundancy is key; GPS, batteries, tools, don't learn the hard way that you don't have what you need.

billblack and wtrfwlr43 like this.
  6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The lake I hunt us rough by design. Was carefully planned. Location picked according to wind and elevation. Hard to believe but it gets very rough. My boat gets beaten by logs and stuff in timber but the lake dented the front of mine. The part that's usually out of the water mostly.
    Not an issue on calm waters but I'm not doing the 25 mph southwest wind again nuh uh. I cant believe it. Ive shown ppl and they said "water did that?". Yup
    It can happen too quick and my boat is beat.

billblack and jrp267 like this.
  7. Iammichael6499

Iammichael6499 Senior Refuge Member

I don’t think you could ditch them if you wanted to anyway. But I second they have flotation value.

Shack11 likes this.
  8. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Thanks once again, after 11 years of this thread, to each and every one of you who have added wisdom, knowledge and color commentary to this very important subject. Me, I'm still in Florida running a treasure diving operation with several boats from 17' to 98' in length. I got my 100 Ton Master's (captain's) ticket a few years ago. Something I learned in studying for the Captain's test is applicable here. When you sit for the test that gives you the license to take passengers aboard a vessel, whether it is an OUPV 6-Pack ticket or a 50, 100, 200 or 500 Ton Master's Merchant Mariner credential there are few, if any, questions about steering the boat. There are mostly questions about safety regulations (Rules of the Road), navigation and managing the vessel under all conditions.
    It reallly makes you think about the fact that as the boat owner/driver/captain YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LIVES OF ALL ABOARD.
    Take it seriously.
    Read up on being a better captain, particularly in rough weather. It's a very rewarding thing, to be competent at something most people are clueless about.
    Thanks again to everyone that reads and contributes, and thanks to the Refugeforums.com for being kind enough to make this a sticky and keep on hosting it for 300K+ views!
    All the best to all of you
    Captain Bill Black
    Search & Salvage/Caribbean Treasure Salvors
    Sebastian, FL

Valleyhonker and wtrfwlr43 like this.
  9. DAL

DAL New Member

Sometimes you can't fix stupid...

10. Md Hunter

Md Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Any suggested reading/viewing?