Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I found a stick and wrapped it with tape stuck it in hunted got back then got searched and the game warden found my missing plug. :doh

2. Iammichael6499

Iammichael6499 Senior Refuge Member

I don’t consider myself a seasoned mariner but I think I have a fair amount of common sense (and practical experience making a few marginal/dumb decisions in my lifetime). The only time I “almost” got into serious trouble with a boat was when my dad (84 years old at the time) kept insisting the approaching t-storm was more than an hour away. He didn’t want to go in. We were fishing on a BIG wide open Oklahoma lake in the summer. My common sense/experience told me to head in but I “let” him kept us out there for 15 minutes past the time my “little voice” said we should have left. Before we got back to the ramp the wind was probably 25mph+, waves already up to 3’, wave frequency was very compressed, but fortunately the lighting/rain hadn’t made it to us yet. Dad has a strong heart so I intentionally gave him the ride of his life (it was safe). My point, don’t let ANYONE talk you into going against your instincts/experience unless they are being more cautious than you. If we would have stayed 30 minutes longer vs 15 minutes I would have beached the boat in a cove rather than trying to get to the ramp.

3. lockingblock

lockingblock Senior Refuge Member

Tie or cable the plug to the transom...so that even when you remove it, it stays with the boat. Then, bring a spare...

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

A plugged pee hole, in and of itself, will not make you overheat. It's just a tell-tale to let you know the water pump is functioning. The water pump will function even if the tell-tale is plugged.

darkvibe likes this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

An unfired 12 gage shell is the same size.........