Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. lizard55033

lizard55033 Senior Refuge Member

Naw we run some lakes and rivers here and use the boat to get to the location with the gear. place the decoys and ditch the boat; while hunting from shore. We can walk out and place the decoys and what not. The boat is just transportation.

2. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

That's good information to know! Has anyone actually verified this?

3. KY duck Junkie

KY duck Junkie Senior Refuge Member

There is a video on you tube where all this is shown by a guy answering the question take them off or leave them on. He gets in freezing water with them on then trys to take them off. Then leaves them on. They will float you.

4. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Floatation never was a question or an issue. It's the ability to move as well as questionable insulating properties.

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

What are wet suits made of? Neoprene

What are wet suits designed to do? Keep you warm

If I had on neoprenes I would keep them on. Breathables I would try to trap some air in them and get them off once on shore. They are a great windblocker though. If I could get my fleece underlayers dryed out somewhat I would put them back on.

6. Blacklab227

Read my original post. How much water does a wetsuit hold? A quart? Two quarts? How is it held? Close to your body. The water is not supposed to move very much.

How much water will my waders hold? Probably about five gallons with me in them. Maybe more. How is a body supposed to warm that much water?

It doesn't work the same way. If I found myself in a survival position- fetal with my arms wrapped around my legs, I could see where the insulating properties and floating properties of waders would work. ONLY if I didn't plan on moving. If my boat sank in the middle of a lake and I knew I couldn't swim to shore, for example. However, if my stuff sinks in a moving river, I'm keeping my PFD on, getting out of my waders, and heading with the current for shore.

7. mrdancer

mrdancer Senior Refuge Member

I've not vefified it in the field, but it is all over the internet - do a google search "can you dial 911 without phone service" and look at the wireless hits. The one caveat is that 911 responders may not be able to find you via your cellular locator services, so you may need to give them a good description of your location (p.s. - did you know that cell phone companies can track wherever your active cell phone is as long as it is powered up?).

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9-1-1

Inactive telephones
    In the U.S., FCC rules require every telephone that can access the network to be able to dial 9-1-1, regardless of any reason that normal service may have been disconnected (including non-payment) (This only applies to states with a Do Not Disconnect policy in place. Those states must provide a "soft" dial tone service, details can be found at http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Reports/FCC-State_Link/IAD/pntris99.pdf) On wired (land line) phones, this usually is accomplished by a "soft" dial tone, which sounds normal but will allow only emergency calls. Often, an unused and unpublished phone number will be issued to the line so that it will work properly. With regard to mobile phones, the rules require carriers to connect 9-1-1 calls from any mobile phone, regardless of whether that phone is currently active.[29] The same rules for inactive telephones apply in Canada.[30]

When a cellular phone is deactivated, the phone number is often recycled to a new user, or to a new phone for the same user. The deactivated cell phone will still complete a 911 call (if it has battery power) but the 911 operator will see a specialized number indicating the cell phone has been deactivated. It is usually represented with an area code of (911)-xxx-xxxx. If the call is disconnected, the 911 operator will not be able to connect to the original caller. Also because the cell phone is no longer activated, the 911 operator is often unable to get Phase II information.[31]

8. pintailwizard

pintailwizard Elite Refuge Member

I've been in over my head in 46 F water. It's cold. Immediately.

I've also swam in the pool in my 5mm neoprenes. They might slow you down, but I'll take a slow swim over being unprotected in cold water.

Now explain this to me. I have enough trouble getting out of my neoprenes on flat dry ground. How in the wide world of sports to you propose taking them off in 30' of water? Gotta take the jacket off first.

If I go in, my PFD will be on, and my heavy waders will be on too. My cell phone will be in a dry box in the pocket of my jacket.

9. Blacklab227

My jacket is under my waders. When I wade, I prefer for the bottom of my coat to not get wet.

10. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Why are you wading when you are in a boat? I'd guess that if you can touch bottom....you really aren't in much need of bad weather boating advice now are you?:nutz