Bird Flu Border Restrictions

dankoustas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
OK what I am gathering is that if your birds come from a restricted zone in Canada then these rules apply. If your birds didn't come from a restricted zone, then no issue. Please let me know if you are reading something different. There is also a link in the article that shows a map with the different zones
Dan

Lastflight

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
OK what I am gathering is that if your birds come from a restricted zone in Canada then these rules apply. If your birds didn't come from a restricted zone, then no issue. Please let me know if you are reading something different. There is also a link in the article that shows a map with the different zones
Dan
That is the way I read it, but knowing how uninformed many border agents are, I worry about bringing birds back regardless of where they were harvested.

OLY

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It also says you can't transport through an infected area with birds if I read that right

Crew_ChiefND

Reaction score
Did some looking and this is what I found...

From the USDA link above...
Unprocessed avian products and byproducts originating from or transiting a restricted zone will not be permitted to enter the United States, including hunter-harvested meat. Non-fully finished avian hunting trophies must be consigned to an APHIS-approved taxidermy establishment.

Goosekiller

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just get rid of the wing attached requirement and make them all into sausage, problem solved.

GooseChaser1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

Can't believe that I am still confused on the return to the US with birds harvested in Canada (Saskatchewan). We cross back into the states at the Raymore port of entry and will be doing this in September & October.

Hope it gets settled before we leave in September. I would hate to discard harvested birds at the border and if that would be the case we would cancel the trip.

Special request for any and all information on this. Note: I have been reading and trying to understand the current info available on the US & Canadian WEB government sites. Reads like a goat rope.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Best Regards,
Dennis S. (Quack)
Rio Rancho, NM

CNWD

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

Can't believe that I am still confused on the return to the US with birds harvested in Canada (Saskatchewan). We cross back into the states at the Raymore port of entry and will be doing this in September & October.

Hope it gets settled before we leave in September. I would hate to discard harvested birds at the border and if that would be the case we would cancel the trip.

Special request for any and all information on this. Note: I have been reading and trying to understand the current info available on the US & Canadian WEB government sites. Reads like a goat rope.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Best Regards,
Dennis S. (Quack)
Rio Rancho, NM
I have to say I have a lot of respect for what you just wrote. Good on ya!!!!