Bird flu?

WaterFoulHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys are posting on the California page that you Washington hunters are seeing a lot of sick birds. Any first hand reports?

Aaron

Reaction score
Lots of waterfowl, mainly snow geese, dying of it in South Dakota. Reports of thousands of birds in a few areas. I haven't seen it first hand but some buddies have. Said a lot worse than what they saw last year.

D3Smartie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've seen it in cacklers on the coast and down into Oregon. Lots of issues in the willamette valley too

NWh2ofowlr

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The biologist have recovered close to 300 birds in Whatcom. Many came out of Wiser lake. One of my friends encountered close to 20 snows today running the sloughs off the north fork of the Skagit. We also saw some sick birds in Padilla Bay just south of Samish Island. I am starting to see a bunch. I also witnessed a sick swan today. I am going to check on it tomorrow and if it still in the same spot I will call the hotline. Swan could have the bird flu or lead poisioning. I am going to do my longer scouting drive tomorrow afternoon to see if I see additional sick birds.

goosegunner12

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've hunted on Sauvies Island a few times this year and have seen multiple dead or dying geese each time. On yesterday's walk out the blind we walked past 3 dead geese on the trail in. Then saw 2 more snow geese in the lake just spinning in circles doing a funky head bob, I would assume they were suffering from it. Then on the walk out there was another cackler just off the trail that was in his final moments of life.

NWh2ofowlr

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Drove Fir Island this morning and saw multiple sick birds at field edges and in ditches. Hopefully it doesn’t pass along to the eagles which will feed on them.

Smalma

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Has it been confirmed that these sick/dead birds have bird flu and if so what strain?

Mallardmasher

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hunted blind 6 at sauvies, and there where at least 14 dead ducks laying around it, the bio said birds flu. I asked why they don’t pick them up and burn them, he said the boss wants to let nature take it’s course. I said let Just kill off the Eagles that eat them. Makes since to me. Go figure