Birds?

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Got it man, thanks. I'll go explore it this summer.

2. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

Ennis lake freezes up. This year it was froze by November 1st. Not sure if it opened back up again in mid november, but other bodies of water did. When the lake freezes up for good, the icce flows from the river begin to jam up and will pack up for miles above the lake.

3. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

I just left Lewistown this weekend to come back to Santa Cruz to get some work done. There were still mallards around hitting grain fields and believe or not, dive bombing cattle feed areas. The spring-fed creeks and larger rivers were still flowing when I left.

Plenty of honkers around when I left too, although I will add they are locals and have seen just about everything in the book. Small mistakes this late in the season will flare them.

Great Falls was approaching reaching their average annual snowfall, in early December. A lot of the snow in the lower elevations has fallen and then melted in October and November, but not in the high country. If we don't get some odd warming period before spring, there is likely to be extensive flooding as the mountains release their water. I personally am hoping for a cool and slow to warm spring so that all the water stockpiled in snow doesn't come down all at once. That will help the farmers as well as the animals.

Ennis isn't that far from Idaho and the Snake River. If the water locks up early in Montana and the birds make themselves scarce, you can always do a road trip the Snake - plenty of mallards to be had there in the late season usually.

Mean Gene likes this.