Bismuth for geese

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Rem STS hulls are tapered so I don't care for them much with Bismuth but this will give you an idea ?
    Win 209 , 26.5 gr of 800X , WAAf114 wad , 1 1/8 oz #4's it says 1320fps / 10900 psi

Rem STS win 209 , 29.7 gr Longshot , WAA12R ,1 1/4 oz of 2's ......1300 fps / 10100 psi

My patterns started to come apart after 1350 fps and as I loaded to 1450 with 1/2 grain increments they got worst .
    There's NO need for above 1350 once you go to 2's as 1300 plus #4's does a fine job , if you do yours !

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

oh in regards to the Buffer I use , I use PSB , Super Sam and ( my favorite ) Bills buffer as it comes in a 3# bag for 10 Bucks ! Hehee

3. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Back when I reloaded lead shot for ducks and geese I use to use flour. Seemed to work good :)

4. Ravenanme

Back when I started Buffing loads we found Lapidary resin to work the best ! They were some "Stout" loads that reached as far as WE could hit'em !

5. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

The 30 and 31 grain a-steel worked out well today

took the Franchi and A-350 with Long Range chokes (rob Roberts t3/ mojo long range was the favorite for the a-350 at 45 yards)

1.125 oz bis 4, tested copper plated and rotometals, federal GMG hull

44958B09-0F15-47EA-9931-A036B3573DEB.jpeg C4582B97-17E3-4AC4-8234-F454392E0891.jpeg

6. Dr Swane

Shooting standing, off hand, through a chrono. I’ll have to test some bis 3’s at that range or beyond this upcoming week.

7. Ravenanme

Dr Swane those are some workable patterns with Bismuth , now only if you can , put the patterns as illustrated you could see how well they work ?
    I like practicing with loads that are within 100 fps +or- of what I normally shoot for ALL ammo I use , it gives me the same sight picture (Gap) for
    my estimated lead . Keeping in mind Birds size dictates shot size and pellet energy but success usually comes with pattern density . Realizing the
    weight of Bismuth is just a little above Steel Shots and it doesn't take much larger Steel shot sizes to equal Bismuth's smaller pellets but , steel shot
    can be driven much much faster , if that's any advantage ? One think I like about Bismuth is it's so simple to load , even with Buffering it , it gives me
    the confidence that I have what it takes to be successful in the marsh .

Dr Swane likes this.
  8. Dr Swane

I think the same load with 31-32 grain allinat steel Powder will be the ideal range and speed. That powder is so consistent in my 28 reloads for bismuth shot. I’ve done long shot as well and it responds very differently to certain wads and even chokes or barrels (at least in the chrono) patterns are pretty even between both powders, most longer range bismuth in my testing has been about 68-78% at or past 40yards with long range / full chokes

steel 2’s (B&P 1450 FPS, and black cloud snow goose 2’s 1635) respond very well to light full and long range chokes as well, a bit higher % downrange, typically.

we also tested many common #2 steel loads with the metro barrel and a mid range Carlson’s choke, and patterns were impressive overall and usually around the 85-91% at or beyond 40 yards. The furthest I’ve tested is 50 yards with steel or bismuth.

9. Ravenanme

Hey thanks for all the work you fellas are putting into this , it gives all of us a little insight as to what might work best for us !
    It only takes a few minutes of loading a few to try and see . The A Steel powder you use , what Lot #'s was it ? Your loads are real close to what I load
    for Upland birds with 6's and 5's !

10. Dr Swane

38 I believe