Bismuth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Apr 28, 2021.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

I understand that Boss Shotshells is selling bismuth shot, which is copper plated.
    It sounds intriguing, but is there any difference in performance between copperplated and regular bismuth?
    Thanks Daniel

2. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

They both shatter in the barrel as well as on impact. Copper plated just has a slightly better chance to hold up.

FWIW neither is exactly round and not exactly consistent size wise.

I gave them two chances, 20ga and 16ga, won’t do it again.

3. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Senior Refuge Member

Boss raised the price to 20 bucks a pound plus shipping. In my experience, the coating does aid in increasing penetration. Bismuth does not pattern as well for me due to its lack of hardness, so I prefer to shoot harder tungsten alloy materials as they perform better. In comparison to steel, it’s an upgrade in certain gauges and loads. Hope this helps.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  4. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

Their sizes are a bit different from other suppliers, in regards to that aspect, doesn’t make much difference. Bismuth 4’s really do kill large geese at distance. Their copper plated shot is usually a bit more “refined” and rounded than other offerings as well. And the copper plated looks cool in clear Hulls... I like their shot, but at times it wasn’t available to order. I’ve used both RotoMetals and Boss extensively in my reloads, testing, and field hunting. I’ve witnessed Kent Bismuth BB’s also kill many geese at distances beyond 50yards. Boss sells up to #1 in bismuth. For 12 gauge, 3’s are as large as I go, but I really like the 4’s.
    I’ve reloaded 3’s, 4’s, 5’s, and 7’s in 28gauge as well. I’m planning on ordering 10pounds of 6’s for .410 and 28gauge.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  5. Buster_AZ

If you buy shot from Boss it comes out to $1.25/oz. Also add shipping, because they no longer offer shot with free shipping either. Tax applies in some states as well. I like to use their 20 ga 3” #4 which has 1 1/8 oz of shot and only cost $1.20 per shell. I recently spoke to Boss directly on the matter, because a friend had previously bought shot at 15 bucks a pound and got free ship. With the new price increase, it doesn’t seem logical for me to roll their stuff vs buying their shells. I believe this to be a strategic move on their part!

6. magnumyammerhammer

Yeah I reckon their deal is selling shotgun shells and not component parts. Makes perfect sense that the shot would be higher priced.

7. magnumyammerhammer

I load 2's from bpi for honkers. I tried 3's on snow geese this past spring. I don't know that I was completely satisfied with their performance. I probably save those for ducks.

8. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

really a bummer they upped their prices, not worth it any more

9. skunkhunter

skunkhunter Refuge Member

I bought 4 boxes of12ga last year to try them out, 4different shot sizes thinking the copper plating would help stop some of the shattering issues. Didn't read the info very well and was surprised upon arrival there were only 20 shells in
    a box. Thought the price was decent before discovering that. Took them to SD last fall and they did ok but probably
    won't buy anymore.

10. Buster_AZ

I have done various field testing using Boss #4 vs Kent 2.0 #2 steel. Both are plated shot. The Boss penetrates better at range. Late in the season, when I’m blowing a raspy 3-note and a big drake is checking the set, the Boss is killing cleaner on these full plumed migrants. I’m talking birds that hang up and circle at 40-50 yards. Guys shooting birds that only drop into the set and can get em close, may not find bismuth as advantageous!