Bismuth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Apr 28, 2021.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Is your Kent steel 2's copperplated also?

2. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Senior Refuge Member

Kent is zinc plated

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  3. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

Three of us tried boss two years ago and we weren't impressed with it. At 40-45 yards and under it did well, but so does steel. But the patterns past 45 yards were huge and we actually had more cripples using boss than steel, specifically using steel shot sizes 2s or 1s.

4. Buster_AZ

Do you have pics of the patterns shot at 40 yards? What choke/gun were you using?

5. grnhd

I doubt it but I'll look. To me doing much patterning at 40 with bismuth was pointless because steel works good at that range. I might have some at 50 if you're interested. Most of my patterning was done with a A400 using chokes from .700 to 690.

6. grnhd

@Buster_AZ I found some 50 yard pattern pics.

Attached Files:

Dr Swane, Buster_AZ and Ravenanme like this.
  7. grnhd

@Buster_AZ here's one of 5s at 50 yards. The pattern density is better but we didnt like 5s at all past 40 or so, they're just to small.

Attached Files:

Buster_AZ likes this.
  8. Buster_AZ

Thanks for posting the pattern pics. I agree on not pushing the #5 past 40 yards.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yep the smallest I use is #4's , no problem killing Med Geese and large Ducks out to 40 plus , some a little farther !
    With #4's as a back-up when hunting dense tules , I believe they are a advantage killing Large Ducks dead in the air or crip's , dropping them in one spot
    for my dog to retrieve , easier !

10. Buster_AZ

If a guys shooting a 12 bore all the time, I agree. For sub gauge guys, bismuth has a lot of promise. Here’s a pattern of #7 Boss out of my old Stevens 77 .410 pump. 40 yards confirmed with a calibrated range finder. 50% pattern, which I’m okay with. My next step is decoying some pigeon at staked yardages to see how far I can push it. I guess I’m getting to the point where it’s not about how many I kill, but how I kill them! 79037CF5-785B-44FF-BC3D-83FF95A1182F.jpeg

Dr Swane likes this.