Bitterroot River-Darby Area

igo4dux75

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh and take LOTS of skeeter repellent!! They are no joke in the Big Hole this time of year, especially after a day or two of warm weather. They can be so crazy bad, especially around the river.
Windshield washer fluid reservoir full too!

Ducky CPA

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh and take LOTS of skeeter repellent!! They are no joke in the Big Hole this time of year, especially after a day or two of warm weather. They can be so crazy bad, especially around the river.
Windshield washer fluid reservoir full too!
Will they be aweful on our hikes? Honestly don’t remember any skeeters last year.

igo4dux75

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Will they be aweful on our hikes? Honestly don’t remember any skeeters last year.
No, they wont be bad in the mountains. But anyplace around water there is potential for them to be bad. The Big Hole specifically has a very large amount of standing water in the valley this time of year. You will see literall black clouds of them in places. Like worse then interior Alaska bad. During the heat of the day they are not as bad, but the mornings and evenings they can be absolutely diabolical! lol
On the rivers and creeks in this valley they can be somewhat thick as well. It all depends on the temps though.

I have never once bought or carried bear spray. But we buy bug juice by the case!

Ducky CPA

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Should be out your way tomorrow with hiking boots on my feet and flyrod in my hand! Really looking forward to a relaxing vacation with my family!!

igodux75 and Native NV Ducker--hopefully we can meet up while I am out there for an adult beverage.

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
Just watched the weather. Should be awesome. I have seen more and more float boat trailers along the road, even up here on the East Fork, so they are out there.

Don't know when you are going to arrive, but if you want to see some small town fun, the Volunteer Fire Dept in Sula is holding a Spaghetti dinner at the clubhouse Sat, at 4:00pm.

Ducky CPA

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just watched the weather. Should be awesome. I have seen more and more float boat trailers along the road, even up here on the East Fork, so they are out there.

Don't know when you are going to arrive, but if you want to see some small town fun, the Volunteer Fire Dept in Sula is holding a Spaghetti dinner at the clubhouse Sat, at 4:00pm.
Plan is to be there in time to be able to attend the Darby rodeo Saturday evening.

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
Yea, rodeo will be more fun.

igo4dux75

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm around the shop most evenings dinking around on some project. Have a freezer full of ice and a cabinet with most common flavors in the shop. Lots of camp chairs too. Bring a 6'er or your favorite mixer.
I'm approximately 15 minute drive from where you are staying. Most days I'm done "working" by 4-5. Y'all are welcome to come by, just give me a heads up. Don't change your plans to make that work, vacation time goes quick.

Latest posts