Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Black bellies the southern equivalent to the greenhead

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Dukesdad, May 23, 2020.

1. Delta Duckman

Delta Duckman Senior Refuge Member

I have been trying to get the duck bureaucracy to consider adding BBWD - Tree Ducks - Squealers to our September special teal season limit. Request is for total daily take of 6 ducks made up of any combination of teal and BBWD. Right now the daily limit is 6 teal. BBWD are in SE Louisiana in the largest numbers during the summer and early fall months so shooting them in September makes all the sense in the world. It is quite a task to convince the authorities to change something. I hope to have the green light for next year.

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

You have my vote!

widgeon likes this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Approval has to come from the feds, and it will take years of studies, along with watching unknowing hunters for thousands of hours to gauge compliance. With the latter, if too many wood ducks, mottleds and othe species are shot, you could lose teal season. Another concern is you might have to take a deal like the few states which are allowed to shoot wood ducks in September. That deal means a real season about half the length of what you currently enjoy. If the feds gave Larry Reynolds a magic wand you'd have your wish today.

widgeon likes this.
  4. Delta Duckman

Delta Duckman Senior Refuge Member

BBWD are mostly in south Louisiana and east Texas along the coastal area of the Gulf of Mexico with some exceptions. They do not migrate northward into the pothole region in the Mississippi flyway as our traditional ducks migrate north to south. BBWD is a Louisiana - Texas issue and they are thriving down here. They are in the suburbs as well as the coastal wetlands. Us shooting BBWD during the September teal season will have almost zero impact on the rest of the flyway and yet people who live in northern states are deciding if we can shoot them or not, that is my rub with this.

I am aware there are quite a few moving parts in all of this but the requirement of study after study when there is not much money or time for them to do it is not a very good answer to me. In the mean time BBWD are landing in my decoys during the teal season and I can't shoot them. The last five years our regular duck seasons have been really bad as our flyway migration has changed and it sure would be nice for the USFWS to help us out.

5. bill cooksey

They are actually nesting at least as far north as MO and IL, but obviously they leave those states long before big duck season. FYI, FL probably has the biggest population of any state, and most there would love to hunt them in September.

The biggest issue is the killing of other species during September, and would opening BBWDs increase the killing of mottled ducks, wood ducks and the early migrants of other species. LA almost killed teal season when it was first being trialed because hunters there killed so many ducks of other species.

Between the potential of having the whole September deal shut down if studies show too many other species killed and loss of several days of teal season as a tradeoff like the wood duck states, be careful what you wish for.

6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Right now and through September is the main nesting period for Florida Black Bellies. While there are people in Florida like delta Duckman who would hunt them while they are nesting, it would be better to have a season for them in February in Florida as they are most abundant then and not nesting.

7. bill cooksey

Interesting. Up here they are done with nesting in August for the most part. My understanding, and my understanding could be wrong, is they are done nesting in LA and TX before teal season, and most leave those states before big duck season.

I'm hoping to circle back with Larry in the offseason to get deeper into it.

8. H20DAD

Im sure further north they are done with nesting earlier. I don’t object to hunting them in states where nesting and fledging are completed prior to teal season. That isn’t the case for most of Florida, however.

9. bill cooksey

Gotcha, that's good information. Thanks.

10. H20DAD

But don’t listen to any fwc biologists. They couldn’t find their asses with a picture and a mirror.

widgeon likes this.