Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Black bellies the southern equivalent to the greenhead

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Dukesdad, May 23, 2020.

1. Dukesdad

Dukesdad Senior Refuge Member

Oh yeah! Need a few brown decoys on open patch surrounded by high weeds. They can see really well so we all whistle at them, they see the decoys in the weeds circle once or twice then it’s on!

widgeon likes this.
  2. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

But hunting does not have any appreciable impact on duck populations!!

3. wprebeck

wprebeck Senior Refuge Member

You a waterfowl manager/researcher? Genuinely curious - I'm trying like hell to get into the field.

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

No. But I know how to read mitochondrial data and other papers. And I am “the black belly whisperer”

wprebeck likes this.
  5. Dukesdad

I’m guessing southern fella cause you’re avatar looks to be a mottled drake.

6. wprebeck

wprebeck Senior Refuge Member

After the comment comparing them to ducks and geese, I considered looking up some research on their genetics - as that's how things are done these days. When I took advanced biology my sophomore year in high school (1991) cladistics wasn't a thing. By the time I got back to school and took a basic biology series (2013-ish), science had developed a whole new way of classification.

7. H20DAD

yes. Now quit giving away hunting details on here. There are plenty of lazy Floridians who want to steal your techniques and spots instead of finding their own. Post all the Tampa bay hunting spots and techniques you want. Invite all the guys from the state to hunt there.....

8. Dukesdad

We got attorneys, engineers, and a rocket scientist. Smart fella like you would fit right in unless you shoot good.
    your right but I’m trying to help the newbies, started 6 last year so far have 3 more for this year most of the oldtimers are dead or quit. I’ve been hunting some of my spots for 30 plus years and still scout because it’s part of the process. TAMPA BAY especially the pinellas side has been Like having a private pond, the Sheriff and FWC are cooperative. Plenty of feral greenheads we don’t shoot the Mottled just hybrids.

9. H20DAD

Im a tightwad Scottish meat hunter draw your own conclusions. I have 18 permit seekers this year....

10. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Speaking of expanding range, 2 black bellies are reported this morning in Beckley, WV.