Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Black bellies the southern equivalent to the greenhead

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Dukesdad, May 23, 2020.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Called a pair to a Dollar General parking lot this morning, while a couple ladies looked at me and the birds like we were all nuts.

wprebeck, Quarne, nobands and 3 others like this.
  2. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

I’ve tried whistling at them and they just don’t respond the way I’d like. I did however have a DR85 close by one day while I was working in Rockport, TX and drew them into a gravel parking lot. They’re loaded up down there.

3. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

That DR-85 will call anything!

Quarne, JJVizinat and bullpinnie like this.
  4. Rick Hall

I keep a stainless steel herding dog whistle (on the string with my quiet and loud dog whistles) in my pocket just to mess with the whistling ducks we encounter on our off season rounds. Used a fighting over food chatter to turn and toll this morning's in-town pair, but they're quite susceptible to whistling that's close to their tones. Have often even drawn them, out of apparent curiosity, to a man and a dog on a farm road with the sharp, single-note chirps I take to be an alarm. Though I can't say I've ever tried that last ploy when anxious to kill one.

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

We have been seeing them in Arkansas more and more the last several years ( mostly in summer and early fall). These we killed on one of my leases in Bayou Metro, AR. south of stuttgart a few years ago. Tree Ducks.jpg

Out of focus and bill cooksey like this.
  6. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

Yea the only whistle I carry is the 6 in 1, I can get the sound semi close but not enough to say they decoy to it.

Correct me if I’m wrong but LR tried to get a season for them during early teal season in LA? Not sure who’d be against it but heard it was shot down.

7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I don’t know about LA but here in Florida their main breeding season by numbers is August and September. We actually see a lot of unfledged birds in our November Season down here some years. In a normal year a lot of young birds just start flying in early November. A teal season hunt would destroy our local population which is the vast majority of birds we shoot.

As an example. Based upon the bill color on the birds in @bullpinnie post above. Those birds haven’t been flying more than a month tops.

These things are my passion and food. I would love for trapping programs to take them to northern states to spread the population as was once done with Canada geese but a teal season hunting for black bellies would destroy the population that has the potential to provide for a ton of recreation in the future if we could get some people that managed wildlife for recreation again.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Dukesdad likes this.
  8. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Tree ducks are very susceptible to frost bite- they won’t go too far north.

9. Rick Hall

I may well be talking out of school here, but think a couple things got in the way. Perhaps the most significant being that federal protocol requires a trial period of spy blind observation for collateral damage to other species before new seasons are made permanent. That requirement not being practiced in '65 when September teal were opened (because duck hunting sucked then, and the feds were desperate for new hunter recruitment) is likely the only reason we have our September teal season. (I'm old enough to remember when a lot of bung holes intentionally shot September "wood teal, motteal and pinteal".)

Anyway, the only really meaningful time to open a special squealer season would be during September teal and spy blinds watching folks shoot squealers during teal season might well see enough other big ducks shot to endanger September teal, too.

Perhaps Larry will see this and choose to comment, but he catches so much crap from the board's bungholes that I'd not blame him for not bothering.

bill cooksey likes this.
  10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

A bunch of years ago, TN hunting regulations for early woodduck & teal included 1 mistake duck! Game & fish knew it was going to happen and didn't want to bog the system down with a bunch of tickets. After a few years, the 1 mistake duck provision was removed and life went on. I can say, on a personal note, one foggy morning a lone teal came into the decoys and was killed. Upon retrieval, the teal had magically turned into an inmature widgeon which shouldn't have been here in the 1st place.