Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Black bellies the southern equivalent to the greenhead

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Dukesdad, May 23, 2020.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Loved the mistake duck days. We always went to the foot back then. Usually had good wood duck numbers, sometimes had teal and there were always the boat dock mallards to heavy the bag. One day we had a flock of sprig come in...oops.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  2. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

That’s cool! One oops duck.

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

A shoveler pitching in from over your shoulder in the dark of a morning where all you see is a silhouette with blue wing patches will test your quick decision making and duck ID. I've had wigeon and pintails decoy beautifully on many occasions during teal season. They eat a whistle up that early in the year.

dog duck gun, JP and CUPTDUCK like this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I was across the street talking to my neighbor last week, and one landed in a tree in his yard. It was right at dusk. We thought it was a small heron at first (never seen one in my life, and tree ducks ain’t common in Ardmore, AL). Finally got a good view of it, told him what it was, and told him we’d witnessed something rare. Sounds like we may be seeing it more and more in the future. Im OK with that.

JP likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

The son of one of my old hunting buddies posted up a picture on FB of a pair of BBWD sitting on a couple of power poles at their camp in SE AR yesterday.

6. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what happened to my earlier post, but a black-belly was reported in Milwaukee Co, WI yesterday.

Diver Slayer likes this.
  7. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Woah, I just might get to see one of those birds yet! I just hope that I realize what I'm seeing when it happens.......
    I'm very good at waterfowl id but tree ducks......

Steve Borgwald likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

A friend and I saw some fulvous here in WA and had no clue what they were until we had seen them 3 times. They are weird looking to us northern boys. :l

9. Dukesdad

Dukesdad Senior Refuge Member

FFC01BAD-F464-4D9B-813B-78E42977EEA6.jpeg Yeah first one I saw went by couple of times before I realized what it was. Didn’t fly or sound like a duck last pass was ten yards about 20 feet over the decoys it had a ducks bill so tada. Looked it up on my phone. Ain’t technology grand and they taste great! First blackbellie I thought it was another fulvus only had different whistle and pink bill and feet. Tastes the same way better than any other duck including cans. The legs and thighs are my favorite. I leave the feet on when I grill them makes it easier to turn sinews

Out of focus likes this.
  10. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Some pictures on iowa waterfowlers Facebook toda of some.
    I've heard rumors before but these are first pictures I've seen.