Decoy Forum Sponsors

Black Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by AppalachianHollers, Jul 20, 2021.

1. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Got some Rust O Leum black and white spray paint to take some old mallard dekes (not pictured).

I’m thinking of making them into ringers, based on the lovely ringer dekes you can spot to the right in the pic below. These ringers were in a batch of dekes kindly donated to me by widgeon (that is, the Refuge member).

Basically after painting black I would add a white patch on the wing area, leaving the back, tail, and chest the color black.

Seems to me like the best of both worlds for long-range visibility. But should I instead do all-black?

Attached Files:

toby and widgeon like this.
  2. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Probably going to brighten the redhead dekes, too. Need to pick up some grey if I go that route instead of making them also ringers. Some red to apply with a brush.

Not trying to make them realistic at this point; just trying to have the same effect as a plastic worm lure does in fishing. Strongly suggestive and triggering instinct to my advantage. I’ll settle for getting visible colors that draw ducks’ interest.

widgeon likes this.
  3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I turned some old mallard decoys into coots by painting the bills white and the body flat black. They looked funny to me but not the ducks.

Good luck with the paint job!

AppalachianHollers and GUNNERX2 like this.
  4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

5. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Black with white spots on the sides should work great. I made a half dozen of these a few years ago, but when I redo them, it'll just be flat black with a couple while blobs. Not worth the extra time to add details that ultimately make them less visible. 20161022_183136.jpg

AppalachianHollers likes this.
  6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

And as usual I'm embarrassed my my photo...:bow

Rubberhead likes this.
  7. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Say what you want but yours were just as effective as mine...don't tell Billy Bob... :)

8. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I love a good ringer decoy, they are beautiful. That said, like your idea. I have killed wads by painting old mallards black with a stripe down the side. Because if you got the spot on ringers it don’t take Picasso.

9. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Years ago we killed the hell out of bluebills and other divers with milk jugs that were tar pitched black...maybe 75% of the spread.

It's a duck....it has a brain the size of a walnut. We try to mimic what we THINK a duck wants or sees....mostly we out-think ourselves....because it ain't that hard to out-think a duck.

10. ibfowl

ibfowl Elite Refuge Member

This what I've used for years on Can decoys.
    Spray the heads let dry then spray the bodies, the only thing you need to brush is the bills.
    Quick and easy!!!
    [​IMG]