Decoy Forum Sponsors

Black Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by AppalachianHollers, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Bluesclues

Bluesclues Refuge Member

Over the years I have (and still do) paint my old beat up decoys all flat black at the end of season. They get used as filler in with the regular spread for both puddler and divers.

I have painted red heads, Buffleheads and blue bills with lots of detail but, now just paint em flat black. No noticeable difference in bird counts so far doing this.

Grif likes this.
  2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Got to remember, a decoying duck is looking at the whole decoy set up and not just one individual decoy. Visibility is one of the most important things in deceiving waterfowl.. I Agree with the black painted duck decoys. I made the switch to all Canada goose decoys with just a few duck decoys in our spread many years ago just for the visibility factor. Lots of drawing power with several dozen goose floaters There is a pecking order in waterfowl,ducks have no hesitation coming to their bigger cousins. Plus its a different look,not the usual two dozen duck decoys that alot of hunters set out. Have not been disappointed yet.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Well, it’s a decidedly redneck approach, but the black coat is on and drying. Google told me to use a Satin finish. Hopefully haven’t messed up already by taking its advice. But there was no “flat” black option. I did get flat white for when I add the white side

Attached Files:

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The thing about the black white combo is its very visible. Put a spread out and forget your duck call. On the way back gaze down at all the spreads. One sticks out big time. The black n white decoy guy. You

AppalachianHollers likes this.
  5. AppalachianHollers

Going to pick up a can of flat black to cut down the shine a bit. Worried it’ll be too much. I’ve found on old threads good clear coat recs.

6. AppalachianHollers

Now went over the ones I did with some flat black, then painted the old redheads (bottom right). A couple bright spots on those where I touched it up a bit more after realizing I hadn’t completely covered up the brown.

Attached Files:

7. AppalachianHollers

Alright. Phase 1 is complete. Going to get some clear coat in the next couple days once these are fully cured, and they’ll be ready!

Attached Files:

8. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Don't worry about the shine unless you got true gloss paint.

Seriously. They will dull down over time anyway, and one of the tricks down here was for people to Armor All their decoys to shine them up a bit. And the molded texture on the decoys will "bounce" the light enough that a little shine/sheen won't hurt.

Billy Bob and dog duck gun like this.
  9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

There's a guide over here that hunts a big open water float rig. The majority of his rig is black crab pot bouys. He kills everything over that rig.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    rhpierce and AppalachianHollers like this.
  10. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Yeah....I don't know how that got lost, or even if it did.....but I never put much thought into decoys. You're supposed to kill them about the time they figure out they look like chit.

We're talking about an animal that is attracted to spinners.....if I was all alone and needed some human interaction I wouldn't run to a mannequin flapping its arms up and down the same way repeatedly.....we give ducks way too much credit. :yes :l