Black geese numbers

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Smackdown 870, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I have spent lots of time around the Kennedyville - Worton are over the last few weeks and I will say wow this may be the lowest numbers I have seen ever... I know I have seen stuff about the population numbers but man... Normally this time of year its like moths to a flame but they are just not there in any numbers... if this is what the rest of the season is going to be like.. its going to be sad..

2. greenback

greenback New Member

I'm seeing the same thing in Western Cecil - nothing. I understand the birds being a little late due to weather but a month and a half late is reason for concern. If things are this bad perhaps an emergency closure for this year should be considered.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I am hopeful that the warm weather coupled with the moon cycle (November full is on 23rd), and what feels like a lack of Notherlies are all contributing to the low number.

We shall see.

4. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Been doing a lot of fishing lately, seeing a lot of geese every night mouth of patapsco.

5. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

If u get out in early am you should see all the ducks off kenicot n hart miller. In the evening it’s a trickle in deal but first light it’s a pile. N there’s a good bit of B.B. at mouth of rock creek. I got about the normal amount of geese in front my house in Stoney creek.geese might b late but the ducks are on time if not early.

6. purlin12

purlin12 Senior Refuge Member

Few geese around it's sad. Heading north looking around now

7. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

No kidding. It's been 60 up north most of October.

8. Langford

Langford Refuge Member

Kent County numbers are low for sure, but also all the fields still covered in crops has the geese using fields they don’t typically use this time a year. We have enough geese to hunt but it’s going to be hit or miss and up until last Sunday many guys couldn’t get blinds grassed. Traditionally speaking, after a beat down year like last winter, the following goose season is dismal at best. We will see what the weather does here in the next few weeks. The right weather and moon cycle and we could wake up one morning and be covered in them.

Also, I will mention- Cecil County numbers are way down. Especially noticeable in the Earleville, Grove Neck area that usually has thousands of birds this time a year.

9. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    I was in Barclay this morning, and there was a huntable amount of geese flying were I was... ( I was hunting ducks, no ducks, but lots of geese on the pond when I got there)... quite a bit of cut corn in the area...

Went to my sure fire spot on Kent Island... absolutely no geese any where to be seen, heard or otherwise... considerable amount of bufflehead on the creek with a smattering of blackheads.

Driving around, I can confirm that most of the fields I saw were in soybeans and unharvested. Several harvested soybean fields that I have access to have been overseeded and have begun to sprout .... radishes... I anticipate that it is going to be a bleak first split for sure... maybe the geese arenot getting pounded in New York and Pennsylvania.

If you didn't know, the rut is on full blown... I saw some ridiculous sets of antlers on numerous farms just out for a stroll like it was suburban Columbia....

10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Honestly I have not noticed any more or less geese than usual in Kent County, about the same as usual IMO. Now down south(Talbot) it seemed to be a bit less than usual. Nothing seemed alarming to me though. I’ve seen years where we had tones of geese early and a terrible season, and viceversa.